Newcastle striker Adam Campbell linked with Carlisle Utd
Last updated at 11:25, Tuesday, 13 August 2013
Carlisle United have been linked with Newcastle frontman Adam Campbell despite boss Greg Abbott’s insistence that the Blues may not be able to afford any more new players.
The talented 18-year-old Campbell has been on United’s radar since an early stage in the summer.
Indications from the north east are that Toon boss Alan Pardew is ready to send the promising Geordie out on loan.
That could see United first in the queue for the forward, with the club having made their interest known in Campbell last month.
But Abbott, who last week brought in defenders Kevin Feely and Paul Black, has admitted that there is little money left to further strengthen the squad.
The Blues manager is desperate for a quick turnaround after a disastrous first two games of the new league season.
Asked if there was scope for more additions, Abbott added: “I don’t think there is.
“It’s common knowledge that there isn’t a great deal around.
“That’s why we’re trying to nick people as cheaply as we can to fill a few holes while we wait for our big players to come back.”
Campbell has also been linked with St Mirren, while Pardew has already loaned out other young members of his squad to get them first-team experience.
Defenders Feely and Black, who both came off the bench in Carlisle’s 4-0 defeat at Bradford, are among three loanees currently in the United ranks, injured left-back Reece James the other.
Feely and Black will be eyeing full debuts against Coventry this weekend as Abbott searches for a way to stop his leaky side conceding more goals.
“I thought Paul did alright when he came on and looks like he knows the game,” Abbott said.
“He is a bit older, has 100 games under his belt, and it’s probably the right time for him to play rather than expose Patrick [Brough] to that.
“Kevin is young, he did alright [at Bradford], he made a mistake for a goal but he competed.
“There is a naivety and inexperience connected with the group at the minute. We need some experience in the team.”
United have so far not commented on Campbell.
First published at 11:23, Tuesday, 13 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle venue defends promotion of top comic's show after low turn-out (29 comments)
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (10 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- Parks ban would make smokers outcasts in society, says senior Carlisle councillor (13 comments)