Huddersfield clear-out may put Carlisle Utd boss on alert
Last updated at 12:56, Wednesday, 30 May 2012
Greg Abbott could be alerted by a mass clear-out at Huddersfield following their promotion to the Championship.
Wembley play-off heroes Tommy Miller and Gary Roberts, both midfielders, and experienced frontman Danny Cadamarteri are among those axed by manager Simon Grayson.
The others heading for the Galpharm Stadium exits are Nathan Clarke – the longest-serving player in Huddersfield squad – Gary Naysmith, Aidan Chippendale and Simon Thomas, while rookie defender Greg Pearson will leave the club despite having 12 months left on his contract.
Striker Alan Lee is among five out-of-contract players who have been offered new deals by Grayson, along with Tom Clarke and Lloyd Allinson.
Abbott plans to strengthen the squad which came agonisingly close to securing a play-off place last season and has successfully raided Huddersfield before when he signed out-of-favour midfielder James Berrett in 2010.
Berrett turned out to be one of Abbott’s best signings and is among eight out-of-contract players who have been offered fresh terms by United.
Abbott has refused to divulge the identity of any of his targets other than released Sunderland forward Jordan Cook, who had a successful loan spell at Carlisle last season.
Hartlepool midfielder Gary Liddle is another name to be thrown into the frame after he turned down a new contract at Victoria Park because he wants a fresh challenge after six years at the club.
Liddle’s former club Middlesbrough are reported to be interested in speaking to the 25-year-old who has been told the Hartlepool door is still open if he has a change of heart. He made 284 appearances for Pools, scoring 21 times, after joining as a 20-year-old from Middlesbrough, where he came through the youth ranks.
United will play at Durham City in a pre-season friendly on July 24.
First published at 11:31, Wednesday, 30 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (40 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (36 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Call for statue to celebrate Carlisle's famous biscuit workers (19 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (101 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)