Danny Livesey doubtful for Carlisle Utd clash with Bury
Last updated at 11:54, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Battling Danny Livesey was today saluted for restoring Carlisle United’s fighting spirit – and he may have to play through the pain again this weekend.
The centre-half defied a rib injury to lead the Blues’ rearguard effort in their vital home win against Rochdale.
And now Greg Abbott, who praised the back-in-favour stalwart for his commanding display, is sweating on Livesey’s fitness for Saturday’s clash with Bury.
“Danny was really sore after the game and he is probably a doubt for Saturday,” said the United manager. “We have to see how it reacts. But Danny was back to something like his best against Rochdale – he was terrific.
“We have missed that raw, determined defending. When he was heading away Rochdale’s corners late on it was as good as watching us score.”
Livesey has returned to the heart of Abbott’s team after Slovakian international Lubo Michalik’s poor form cost him his place in the back four.
The former Bolton man has played second fiddle to Michalik for much of the season but was recalled for the 3-2 win against Yeovil, before a bruised rib forced him to sit out last weekend’s defeat at Notts County.
He was immediately recalled on Tuesday night and now looks set to be given the chance to re-establish his centre-half partnership with Peter Murphy.
Abbott is desperate for United to become harder to score against – and also believes Livesey’s attitude is an example to others.
“The same challenge is there now for Lubo and the others who aren’t in the starting 11 – Liam Noble, Jordan Cook, Stephen O’Halloran, Andy Welsh, Craig Curran,” Abbott said. “Show your character. Want to be in the team.
“And when you are in it, stay in it.”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (83 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (27 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (22 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (41 comments)
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)