Danny Livesey doubtful for Carlisle Utd clash with Bury
Last updated at 11:54, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Battling Danny Livesey was today saluted for restoring Carlisle United’s fighting spirit – and he may have to play through the pain again this weekend.
The centre-half defied a rib injury to lead the Blues’ rearguard effort in their vital home win against Rochdale.
And now Greg Abbott, who praised the back-in-favour stalwart for his commanding display, is sweating on Livesey’s fitness for Saturday’s clash with Bury.
“Danny was really sore after the game and he is probably a doubt for Saturday,” said the United manager. “We have to see how it reacts. But Danny was back to something like his best against Rochdale – he was terrific.
“We have missed that raw, determined defending. When he was heading away Rochdale’s corners late on it was as good as watching us score.”
Livesey has returned to the heart of Abbott’s team after Slovakian international Lubo Michalik’s poor form cost him his place in the back four.
The former Bolton man has played second fiddle to Michalik for much of the season but was recalled for the 3-2 win against Yeovil, before a bruised rib forced him to sit out last weekend’s defeat at Notts County.
He was immediately recalled on Tuesday night and now looks set to be given the chance to re-establish his centre-half partnership with Peter Murphy.
Abbott is desperate for United to become harder to score against – and also believes Livesey’s attitude is an example to others.
“The same challenge is there now for Lubo and the others who aren’t in the starting 11 – Liam Noble, Jordan Cook, Stephen O’Halloran, Andy Welsh, Craig Curran,” Abbott said. “Show your character. Want to be in the team.
“And when you are in it, stay in it.”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)