Carlisle Utd boss: You won’t understand the pressure I’ve felt
Last updated at 14:37, Friday, 18 January 2013
Greg Abbott has opened his heart about the strain of managing Carlisle United during their troubled season.
The United boss insists only fellow managers who have known hard times – like Aston Villa’s Paul Lambert and axed Bristol City boss Derek McInnes – can understand the pressure he has felt.
Carlisle have been looking over their shoulders for much of the campaign. Their win over Coventry last weekend put them nine points above the drop zone and Abbott has spoken of his relief at the improving picture, after coming in for heavy criticism after several heavy defeats.
“It’s tough,” said the United manager. “Unless you have been Paul Lambert, Greg Abbott at times this season, or Derek McInnes, walking down the track when you’ve been beaten, outclassed, outdone and don’t know where to turn, you don’t realise that it’s not a nice feeling.
“I’ll know how Paul is feeling, how Derek is feeling, and they probably know how I’ve been feeling.
“But I hope they turn their fortunes around – Derek at another club, Paul at his own club. We have had a result [against Coventry] that has turned my fortunes around, for now.”
The 1-0 win against Coventry was United’s third in five games.
Carlisle are 17th, with defeats at Crewe and Swindon coming before the much-needed triumph last Sunday, earned by Matty Robson’s second-minute header.
Abbott has detected signs that his team can finally rise away from the pack of struggling teams in League One.
He added: “I don’t anticipate that [we will struggle]. I think the players are too good, in terms of the whole group, for that. I don’t think we’re good enough to win the league this year but we’ve got to be ready to build, and build, and improve, and I hopefully last weekend was the kick-start.”
First published at 14:33, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- New manager Keith Curle sets out plan to save Carlisle Utd (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (16 comments)
- Cumbria police probe after cats poisoned (3 comments)
- Lack of rain means Cumbria facing driest September in 30 years (4 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (55 comments)