Carlisle Utd and Workington Reds close to Tony Caig deal
Published at 08:03, Friday, 09 July 2010
Carlisle United and Workington Reds are on the brink of an agreement which will see the Blues’ goalkeeping coach Tony Caig return to Brunton Park in a playing capacity for the 2010/11 season.
United manager Greg Abbott wants the 36-year-old – Reds’ star player last season – to provide experienced back-up to the Blues’ number one Adam Collin, as well as stepping up his involvement on the training ground.
The west Cumbrian Blue Square North outfit, managed by former Carlisle player Darren Edmondson, have been reluctant to lose Caig but it is understood a deal is now imminent.
The two clubs meet in a pre-season friendly at Borough Park on Tuesday.
Caig, whose penalty saves helped win the Auto-Windscreens Shield for United at Wembley in 1997, was often absent from United on Saturdays last season as he played an influential role in Workington’s play-off run, but he will now be free to take up a full-time role in Abbott’s backroom staff.
Edmondson said: “I don’t want to lose Tony but sometimes in football these things happen.
“The move will be great for him and it could be a job he has for the next 10 or 20 years. We didn’t want him to leave but it looks inevitable that he will be heading out.”
The Blues are also close to reaching an agreement with Watford over defender Tom Aldred’s move to Vicarage Road.
- United have switched venues for their planned training camp from July 19-23 after their original base in Colchester double-booked the Blues with another club. They will now spend the week in Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire. “It is a fantastic facility which has been used by England in the past, and it will be ideal for a good week’s work,” said United’s kitman and media officer Andy Hall.
- Tickets are now on sale for the Blues’ big pre-season friendly at home to Newcastle on Saturday week. They are priced at £7 (standing) and £10 (seating) for adults if bought before the day, and £9/£12 if bought on the day of the game. Concession prices are also available.
- Former United striker Joe Garner, now with Nottingham Forest, is being strongly linked with a move to Carlisle’s League One rivals Huddersfield. Forest are understood to be ready to sell the 22-year-old if their valuation in the region of £450,000 is met.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)