Carlisle Utd ace nets first goal after injury nightmare
Last updated at 12:36, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Rory Loy scored his first goal for nearly a year and Paul Thirlwell returned from injury in a big double boost to Carlisle United boss Greg Abbott.
Striker Loy was on target for a United XI in a 1-1 friendly draw at Barnsley.
The Scot, out since Boxing Day with a broken leg, also completed 90 minutes for the first time since returning to fitness.
The Oakwell outing brings 24-year-old Loy closer to a first-team return for the Cumbrians. His strike was his first since scoring against Wycombe on December 17 last year.
“It was great to see Rory get on the score sheet and get a full game under his belt in what were really testing conditions,” said assistant manager Graham Kavanagh.
Captain Thirlwell, meanwhile, got through the full game after missing a month with an ankle injury.
The experienced midfielder could now return to the squad for Saturday’s FA Cup clash with Bournemouth.
There was also a first United outing for Derby loan defender Valentin Gjokaj.
Carlisle remain in talks with the Rams over whether the 19-year-old Swiss will be allowed to play in the Bournemouth tie.
Manchester United loanee Sean McGinty also played along with experienced first-teamers JP McGovern, Liam Noble and Kallum Higginbotham. Danny Cadamarteri was not involved as he continues to have treatment on his groin injury. Barnsley fielded a senior side including Tom Kennedy, Chris Dagnall, Matt Done, Kelvin Etuhu and Bobby Hassell.
Carlisle United: Gillespie, Thirlwell, Bugno (Berwick 60), Gjokaj, McGinty, McGovern, Todd, Noble (Lynch 82), Welsh, Loy, Higginbotham (Salmon 70). Not used: Parker, Gwinnutt.
First published at 12:33, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (86 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (59 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (79 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (26 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (61 comments)