Carlisle United boost for kits campaign
Last updated at 11:53, Thursday, 25 April 2013
Carlisle United fans can help kit out players in the Third World by handing over their football shirts at Saturday’s final game of the season.
Blues players are backing the News & Star’s campaign to donate shirts, kit and equipment to footie-mad players in impoverished countries in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean.
We’ve teamed up with Kits4Causes, a charity which distributes donated strips and equipment all over the world, to collect as much gear as possible to be sent abroad to enable children and adults to be properly kitted out. Instead of binning this season’s replica shirts, Carlisle fans can leave them in our special red wheelie bin outside the ticket office at Brunton Park after Saturday’s home clash with Colchester.
United stars Lee Miller, Brad Potts and James Berrett this week appealed to fans to get behind the Kits4Causes campaign.
Club director Norman Steel said: “The News & Star’s Kits4Causes campaign is a very deserving cause, and it will help kit out people who are less fortunate than we are in this country. It highlights the poverty of the Third World when you consider that many people do not have strips or equipment to enable them to play football.
“We’ve placed the container in a high-profile position at the ground so people can leave their shirts.”
Hundreds of shirts, shorts, pairs of socks, shinpads and footballs have been handed over since the News & Star launched the campaign. Both junior, girls and senior teams have handed over spare strips, and many have pledged their gear when their season finishes.
Kit can be left at collection points throughout Cumbria, including News & Star offices in Dalston Road and Bank Street in Carlisle and at our offices in Whitehaven and Workington. Carlisle’s Sands Centre and Sheepmount Stadium have also provided wheely bins in their reception areas, and there are designated trolleys at Sainsbury’s in Carlisle, Cockermouth and Penrith, and Tesco stores in Carlisle, Whitehaven and Workington.
First published at 11:43, Thursday, 25 April 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle venue defends promotion of top comic's show after low turn-out (29 comments)
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (10 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- Parks ban would make smokers outcasts in society, says senior Carlisle councillor (13 comments)