Workington Reds 1, Witton Albion 1

A battling performance from Workington Reds saw them take a point from an impressive Witton Albion side.

Reds came up against another talented keeper in Witton's number one Calvin Hare who denied them on several occasions, including from the spot.

Sam Smith made a couple of timely interventions at the back and, despite going a goal down, Reds struck back and never stopped looking for the equaliser.

When it finally came it was courtesy of the talented Conor Tinnion who deserved the accolade for his efforts throughout.

Witton started brightly and were attacking the Workington goal at will in the opening minutes and Reds had to defend in numbers.

But Scott Allison was always looking for the opportunity and when the ball came out to him he took it well first time but the shot went over the crossbar.

Moments later Allison made another great run and held off the defender to slip the ball out to Conor Tinnion.

He ducked and weaved through a sea of defenders and got a shot away but it went straight into the arms of the keeper.

Dave Symington tried his luck from the edge of the area but the curling shot was always going wide.

Witton looked dangerous moments later when the ball came across the face of the ball. Jake Simpson headed it low back towards Aaran Taylor in the Reds goal but he had to scramble to get back with the Witton attacker closing in.

Then a poor ball back to the Witton keeper caused chaos as Allison chased down the ball and Calvin Hare in the goal brought the Reds striker down.

The referee instantly pointed to the penalty spot and up stepped Anthony Wright to try and give Reds the advantage.

It was a well taken penalty but Hare was ready to make amends and he dived down to his left to save the ball and Joel could not put away the rebound.

Reds best chance of the half came as Tinnion went on another mazy run down the centre, he beat his defender and got the ball through looking for Allison.

He picked it up with just the keeper to beat but his lob went wide of the target.

Tinnion proved just how crucial he is to the Reds side as he then went to the opposite end of the field and put in a crucial tackle as Witton looked to break into the area.

But in the end it remained 0-0 at half time.

Into the second half and Dan Wordsworth was halted in his tracks as he bore down on he area, earning a free kick to the left hand side of the area.

Symington struck a nice curling ball in which saw the Witton keeper dive at full stretch to save the ball at the foot of the post.

But against the run of play it was the visitors Witton who took the lead. The ball came out to James Foley on the right hand side and he squared it across the goal for Rob Hopley to take a simple tap-in.

This seemed to deflate Reds and the free flowing football that was evident in the first half became stifled.

Prince Haywood was causing problems for the Reds defence as he used his pace to get the ball forward.

And only a superb tackle from Tinnion in front of his own goal halted Witton sub Will Jones from slamming the ball into the back of the net.

A great run from Simpson lifted Reds as he beat one defender before putting in his shot which took a deflection to go wide.

Tinnion looked to put in a deep cross looking for Jack Ryan but again Hare in the Witton goal was up to the task and leaped up to scoop the ball out of the air.

Better play from Workington saw the ball come out to Simpson who turned before taking his shot but it lifted just over the bar.

It took a while but finally Reds beat the opposition keeper and Tinnion struck a fine shot with his right foot and, despite a slight deflection it flew into the goal to level matters.

Witton looked to restore their advantage after a mix up in the Reds penalty area but the final shot from Alex Newby went into the side netting.

Rop Hopley nearly got his second in injury time as he looked to take the keeper on. He managed to turn Sam Smith but the defender kept his cool and put in a timely tackle at the right moment to put the ball out for a corner.

There were some frantic moments as both sides looked for the winner but it wasn't to come and the referee blew his whistle for the draw and a point apiece.

Reds: Taylor, Simpson, Mellen, Wordsworth, Smith, Calvert, Symington, Wright, Allison, Joel, Tinnion. Subs (not used): Ryan, Douglas, MacDonald, Carter, Fowler.

Goals: Tinnion 82.

Witton: Hare, Gardner, Williams, Wilson, Brown, Ryan, Haywood, Foley, Hopley, Tames, Hedley. Subs (not used): Jones, Evans, Newby, Neild.

Goals: Hopley 52.

Half time: 0-0

Referee: John Mulligan.

Crowd: 391.