Shaw Lane 3 Workington Reds 2

For the second away game in a row, Workington Reds were on the wrong end of a controversial goal.

They had deserved something from an entertaining game in Barnsley but an "offside" goal on 64 minutes proved crucial.

Damian Reeves was well offside but was allowed to go on and slide the ball past Aaran Taylor.

Although Reds forced their way back with a second equaliser, they were undone by a 72nd-minute winner direct from a free-kick.

Shaw Lane were cock-a-hoop after a late winner in the FA Cup at Blyth on Saturday, so much so they were able to start with experienced striker Reeves, who got the winner at Croft Park, on the bench.

But Reds went into the game on the back of their best sequence of results so far - two successive victories.

Sam Joel was unavailable, so Jack Ryan started in the only change to the side which beat Hednesford 1-0 on Saturday.

It was a wet night in Barnsley for the first-ever clash between the two sides but the Sheerien Park pitch looked in good condition.

There was a pre-match reunion for two Carlisle United players – Jordan Holt and substitute goalkeeper Morgan Bacon, on loan with Workington and Shaw Lane respectively.

Reds put together a great move in the first minute of the game and it ended with a snap shot from Anthony Wright which, unfortunately, was straight at keeper Jon Stewart.

Then it was Wright again, winning a tackle and going on to shoot just wide from 25 yards.

Shaw Lane’s first attack brought them a corner on five minutes but it was far too long and went dead.

There were two lengthy injury stoppages, Alex Byrne for Shaw Lane and Ryan for Reds. After the second, Reds were forced into making a change and had to reorganise.

Ryan had twisted his ankle and was unable to continue, so Sam Smith came into defence; Josh Calvert into midfield and Holt up front.

Workington won a corner on 17 minutes and Jake Simpson’s flag-kick was headed behind for another from the right which landed on the roof of the net.

Reds were playing the football but Shaw Lane favoured the long ball, quite a contrast in styles.

Shaw Lane took the lead on 21 minutes from their second corner. The ball was whipped in and the experienced Paul Clayton flicked a near-post header into the far corner.

Workington were almost in trouble from the next corner but survived after Aaran Taylor made a good block.

At the other end, Shaw Lane were fortunate when Stewart couldn’t hold a Conor Tinnion shot and it was scrambled clear.

Then, a free-kick from Tinnion was headed back by Dan Wordsworth but his effort was blocked. It rebounded to Wordsworth and a first-time shot was saved by Stewart.

Tinnion fired in a rocket from 30 yards which Stewart could only palm into the air but his defence cleared.

Workington were playing well and, on 42 minutes, a great cross from Tinnion had Shaw Lane in trouble but James Earl just couldn’t get on the end of it.

It was all Reds as the break approached and they deservedly drew level just as three minutes of added time was announced.

From Simpson’s left-wing corner, Sam Smith rose and headed powerfully into the net.

It had been a good half from the Reds who certainly deserved at the very least to be all-square.

Shaw Lane had the first shot after the resumption when David Norris got forward but Taylor went down to make a comfortable low save.

When Reds came back with a long throw from Simpson, Shaw Lane were in some difficulty but the ball just wouldn’t drop for Scott Allison.

Corners were going to be a problem for Reds and, on 53 minutes, Shaw Lane won their first of the half but, fortunately, it was over hit and went behind.

When Reds got moving again, after a scrappy period of play, Wright had a curling shot deflected for a corner which was headed away.

On 62 minutes, Shaw Lane replaced Paul Ennis with Reeves.

Two minutes later, the hosts took the lead again under very controversial circumstances. The player was clearly offside but was allowed to go on and it was fired home by Hough.

That sparked lengthy arguments with the referee from almost all the Workington players but his only response was to book Earl.

Five minutes later, Reds drew level. Tinnion whipped in a right-wing corner which was missed by Stewart and finished in the back of the net.

Joy was short-lived as, on 72 minutes, Shaw Lane were back in front. Byrne scored with a free-kick over the Reds wall from just outside the area.

Ten minutes from time, Shaw Lane replaced Clayton with Sam Osborne.

Allison was booked for a foul a minute later as time ebbed away.

Four minutes of added time saw Reds pushing hard for a deserved equaliser but they couldn’t get in a decisive blow.

Shaw Lane: Stewart, Austin, Serrant, Norris, Lugsden, Qualter, Byrne, Harris, Clayton (Osborne 80), Ennis (Reeves 62), Walker (Hough 90). Subs (not used): Payne, Bacon.

Workington: Taylor, Simpson, Symington, Wordsworth, Calvert, Wright, Earl, Holt, Allison, Ryan (Smith 16), Tinnion. Subs (not used) – Douglas, Rowntree, Mellen.

Referee: Darren Watling, Bridlington.