Carlisle United 2 Wolves' Under-21s 4: Another low crowd saw Carlisle United fall to a 4-2 defeat to Wolves’ Under-21s in their opening Trophy tie.

Only 893 fans watched tonight's match, the third-lowest attendance in Brunton Park’s history, as a Benny Ashley-Seal hat-trick earned the youngsters from the Premier League team the victory.

Ashley-Seal broke the deadlock when he fired past United’s debutant keeper Louis Gray, before the home team’s captain-for-the-day Hallam Hope levelled.

Wolves re-took the lead as Tsun Dai found the net, only for Ryan Loft to, once again, equalise on the stroke of half-time.

But Wolves took control in the second period as Ashley-Seal converted a penalty shortly after the restart.

And the 20-year-old completed the scoring with the sixth goal of a game which also saw teenage United defender Jarrad Branthwaite make his debut.

It was Hope with the first chance of the night with 10 minutes played, his deflected strike going wide.

Christie Elliott had the next chance for the home team on 19 minutes, cutting in off the right before he tested visiting keeper Andreas Sondergaard.

But Wolves responded well, in front of the low crowd, and broke the deadlock seconds later, as Ashley-Seal smartly chipped over United keeper Gray.

Then, on the half-hour mark, good play from United's front three saw Leicester loan frontman Loft feed Elias Sorensen who whipped in a dangerous delivery. But Hope could not quite catch-up with the Danish forward's right-wing cross.

But the hosts did equalise on the 35th minute when Hope smartly dinked over Sondergaard for his first goal of the season, latching on to a sublime through ball from Elliott.

Wolves, however, did retake the lead five minutes later, though, as a well-hit shot from Dai took a deflection and went past Gray.

But, on the stroke of half-time, the Cumbrians levelled again. Sorensen, who was falling, still managed to dig out a pass for Loft and he found the bottom corner.

After the restart, it didn't take long for Wolves to regain the lead, though, with Gray fouling Ashley-Seal who converted the penalty himself to make it 3-2 to Rob Edwards' team.

Substitute Aaron Hayden, not long after entering the field, headed wide a Bridge corner on the 63rd minute.

But a minute later, Wolves extended their advantage when Ashley-Seal found the net after a fine away move.

As the Blues looked for a way back into the encounter, they introduced Harry McKirdy who was quickly in the action, firing wide, but United could not mount a serious comeback.

Branthwaite, 17, from Wigton, made his full senior debut in one of eight changes for Carlisle's opening Trophy tie.

Goalkeeper Gray also made his first full senior start for the Blues, with only Jack Iredale, Gethin Jones and Bridge surviving from the side which started United's 3-1 loss at Bradford on Saturday.

Newcastle loan frontman Sorensen got the opportunity to impress, while Hope captained the side.

Elliott, Canice Carroll, Jon Mellish and Loft also started for Steven Pressley's side.

For the away side, managed by ex-Wolves defender Edwards, Scottish-born Wales star Terry Taylor captained the side.

Carlisle: Gray, Elliott, Iredale, Carroll, Mellish, Hope (c), Jones (Hayden 60), Bridge, Branthwaite, Loft, Sorensen.

Carlisle subs: Collin, McKirdy, Charters, Barnes, Kerr, Olomola.

Goal: Hope (35) and Loft (45).

Ref: Seb Stockbridge.