Carlisle United 0 Forest Green Rovers 0: Carlisle United played out a goalless draw with 10-man Forest Green Rovers.

The major talking point of tonight's game at Brunton Park proved to be Bristol City loanee James Morton’s sending off for the away side.

It came midway through the second period when the midfielder was given a second yellow card by referee Michael Salisbury following a late challenge on substitute Hallam Hope. Initially, Mr Salisbury had not realised he had already booked Morton before, finally, sending Morton off to a chorus of cheers from the home fans, while United manager Steven Pressley was also booked in the aftermath of the incident.

But the Blues could not make their dominance pay, with substitute Christie Elliott having the best of United’s late chances, heading narrowly over.

It came after a first half, in which, Nathan Thomas had United’s best chance. He drove down the right but was denied a superb goal by Forest Green keeper Lewis Thomas on nine minutes

It was Carlisle who had the first chance in the second minute. Olufela Olomola caused problems for the away defence and the ball fell to Thomas who tested namesake Lewis Thomas.

Seven minutes later, the hosts almost broke the deadlock in superb fashion. After Forest Green finally gave the ball away after a number of passes, Carlisle frontman Thomas drove down the right but was denied a superbly-taken goal by Forest Green keeper Thomas.

Forest Green then had their first clear-cut opportunity on the 19th minute when Jack Aitchison unleashed a powerful strike, only to be denied by a fine save from United skipper Adam Collin.

On the 29th minute, Carl Winchester tried his luck with a 30-yard shot, but Cumbrian Collin was well behind his effort.

But there was another good chance for Carlisle the other side of the half-hour mark as Thomas crossed and the ball fell kindly to Jack Iredale. But the left-back dragged wide of the post.

On the stroke of half-time, Collin was, once again, called into action to deny Aitchison with the sides going in level at the break after a goalless first period.

After a slow start after the restart, Bridge had the hosts' first second-half opportunity with 55 minutes played, blazing over from long distance.

Two minutes later, Aitchison called Collin into action, stinging the palms of the former Notts County goalkeeper with his effort.

The away contingent appealed strongly for a penalty for handball on 62 minutes as Mike Jones charged down a right-wing cross. But referee Mr Salisbury waved away the protests.

Mr Salisbury was again in the thick of the action as he presented Morton with a second yellow card. It took Mr Salisbury some time to realise Morton had already been cautioned, but then did send him off. Blues boss Steven Pressley also earned himself a booking the aftermath!

For United, there was a late chance for Elliott, while Hope and Thomas both went down in the area, but referee Mr Salisbury waved away both appeals.

Mo Sagaf came into the United team in Pressley's only change for their home clash.

Midfielder Sagaf replaced right-back Elliott for his second start after Saturday's 3-2 victory at Stevenage, which came courtesy of a Harry McKirdy brace and a Thomas strike.

That meant defender Gethin Jones retained his place in United's team for his home debut.

After Saturday's 1-0 win over Colchester, Rovers were unchanged.

Last time out at Brunton Park, Carlisle lost 3-1 at home to Exeter, with Olomola on target for the hosts.

The visitors started the night third in the League Two table, despite not having yet scored more than one goal in any given game in the league this term, while the Blues were in 15th position.

Ref: Michael Salisbury.

Carlisle United: Collin (c), Iredale, Thomas (Loft 94), M.Jones, McKirdy (Hope 67), G.Jones, Webster, Bridge, Olomola, Knight-Percival, Sagaf (Elliott 86).

Carlisle unused subs: Gray, Mellish, Branthwaite, Sorensen.

Crowd: 3,219 (76 away fans).