Stevenage 2 Carlisle United 3: Harry McKirdy was the hero for Steven Pressley's side as his late goal earned Carlisle United a much-needed win.

The recalled forward saw his deflected effort find the net in the 83rd minute as the Blues grabbed the points against winless Stevenage.

It was McKirdy's second of a high-scoring game.

Kurtis Guthrie gave Stevenage the lead before McKirdy rifled United level.

After the break Nathan Thomas put the Blues in front but Guthrie equalised a minute later.

McKirdy, though, had the final say as the Cumbrians made it back-to-back away wins and moved up to 15th in League Two.

New signing Gethin Jones went straight into Pressley's Carlisle side in a three-man defence, McKirdy also back in the side as Mo Sagaf and Canice Carroll dropped out, the latter through injury.

Danny Newton volleyed straight at Adam Collin from an early Stevenage opening with Guthrie going close from outside the box for a winless side under caretaker boss Mark Sampson for the first time.

McKirdy tried to put the hosts on the back foot, lobbing just over the bar, but United then fell behind as Guthrie's bobbling shot found the bottom corner after Byron Webster could only flick a Chris Stokes cross into his path.

Newton went close to a second before Jack Iredale robbed Luther Wildin and set up Olufela Olomola, the striker seeing his effort deflected wide.

Iredale then saw a shot deflect wide before McKirdy brought the Cumbrians level, racing onto Christie Elliott's ball, getting behind the home defence and smashing home.

Olomola put a good headed chance wide after the break before Carlisle pounced to take the lead.

After Iredale made an interception, Olomola sent McKirdy on the break and Thomas followed in at close range as the flag stayed down.

Carlisle, though, lost their lead a minute later as Guthrie outjumped Nathaniel Knight-Percival to head home a left-wing cross from Stokes.

Olomola saw a low shot saved as United tried to get back on top, Pressley sending on Mo Sagaf and Hallam Hope for the last 20 minutes.

New boy Jones cleared an effort by Stevenage sub Elliott List off the line before ref Martin Coy pulled up injured, fourth official Paul Kelly taking his place.

Carlisle then broke for the decisive goal as Jack Bridge fed Sagaf, who crossed from the right and McKirdy's shot spun into the net in front of the travelling fans.

Sagaf almost set up another for McKirdy before Carlisle saw off Stevenage's late efforts and left the Lamex Stadium with the points.

Stevenage: Farman, James-Wildin, Stokes, Fernandez (Denton 56), Watts, Husin (Cowley 86), Kennedy, Carter, Mackail-Smith (List 65), Guthrie, Newton. Not used: Bastien, Iontton, Taylor, El-Abd.

United: Collin, G Jones, Webster, Knight-Percival, Elliott (Sagaf 70), Iredale, M Jones, Bridge, McKirdy, Thomas (Hope 70), Olomola (Loft 89). Not used: Gray, Mellish, Branthwaite, Sorensen.