Rochdale 2 Carlisle United 1: Carlisle United have been knocked out of the Carabao Cup, losing their second-round tie at Rochdale 2-1 as they ended the match with 10 men.

Aaron Morley and Matt Done tonight had given the Blues a mountain to climb after scoring in the first half for League One Dale.

Midfielder Jack Bridge scored from the spot to give United hope of a second-half fightback but the Cumbrians could not find a leveller as they ended the game with 10 men, with Stefan Scougall hobbling off injured after they had used all three substitutes.

Dale midfielder Morley broke the deadlock on 11 minutes when he received the ball from the left before sending a superb strike past Adam Collin from more than 25 yards out.

Done then added a second just after the half-hour for Rochdale after picking up a misdirected Byron Webster header and going clear to slot home.

Dale's second goal had taken the wind out of United's sails just as they were threatening to mount a comeback.

After Morley's opener, Olufela Olomola couldn't quite make room to shoot in the box, but then Hallam Hope passed up a great equalising chance.

He was sent through by Christie Elliott but delayed his shot and a home defender got back to tackle.

Carlisle then gifted Done a Rochdale second and could not cut the deficit before the break, Hope and Nathan Thomas having shots.

After the home team had started the second period brightly, United responded with a double substitution as Mike Jones and Hope were replaced by Harry McKirdy and Canice Carroll.

A chance at either end quickly followed as Callum Camps attempted to acrobatically turn the ball home, before McKirdy fired over at the other end.

Then, after the hour mark, Webster headed over a corner from Nathan Thomas.

On the 72nd minute, the Cumbrians pulled a goal back when Bridge smashed his penalty down the middle after McKirdy had been taken down in the box.

Minutes later, though, Carlisle went down to 10 men as Scougall came off injured, with Blues boss Steven Pressley having used all three of his allocated substitutes.

As United looked for a leveller, they then had strong handball appeals turned down for a penalty by referee Peter Wright, though they could not score an all-important fourth goal at the Spotland Stadium to force a penalty shoot-out.

United manager Pressley had resisted the temptation to rotate his squad and instead kept faith with the side that faced Salford in the league on Saturday.

Jack Iredale, who limped off in the second half of that 2-2 draw, was passed fit to start.

Rochdale: Sanchez, Matheson, Morley, Magloire, Keohane, O'Connell, Ryan (Pyke 63), Dooley (Rathbone 68), Camps, Done (McLaughlin 86), Andrew. Unused subs: Lynch, Norrington-Davies, Delaney, Henderson.

United: Collin, Elliott, Iredale, Webster, Knight-Percival, Jones (Carroll 52), Bridge, Scougall, Hope (McKirdy 52), Thomas, Olomola (Sorensen 64). Unused subs: Gray, Mellish, Branthwaite, Loft.

Ref: Peter Wright.

Attendance: 1,974 (436 Carlisle fans).