Barnsley 0 Carlisle United 3: Carlisle United stunned Championship side Barnsley to progress to the second round of the Carabao Cup, claiming a 3-0 victory.

Goals from Harry McKirdy, Jack Bridge and Nathan Thomas tonight earned the Blues an impressive first-round win at Oakwell.

McKirdy struck in the first half to give the Cumbrians the lead, before Bridge doubled United's advantage from the penalty spot, with Thomas also finding the net in the second period.

After coping with Barnsley's start, Adam Collin saving from Conor Chaplin and Mallik Wilks firing over, United forced a string of opportunities.

McKirdy's touch let him down when fed by Thomas, then full debutant Ryan Loft was denied by Collins when clean through.

The home keeper saved from Thomas at close range, then tipped away a deflected McKirdy attempt.

But, moments later, 22-year-old McKirdy scored the opening goal.

The forward picked up a pass which had been left by Tykes defender Aapo Halme, who had not noticed McKirdy lurking behind him. He slotted past keeper Brad Collins for his second of the season in the 24th minute.

At the other end, Collin tipped over a Chaplin drive before Loft, with an overhead kick, almost made it two.

Carlisle then survived a flurry late in the half, with Chaplin denied by retreating defenders after rounding Collin, and Jordan Williams' follow-up cleared off the line by Byron Webster.

Six minutes after the restart, the home team went close when Cameron McGeehan fired wide, with Barnsley trying to build some momentum.

United were then given a golden chance to double their advantage shortly before the hour mark when they were awarded a penalty after great work between McKirdy and Jack Iredale. Ref Ben Toner pointed to the spot when Mads Anderson tripped McKirdy despite Thomas sending the loose ball into the net.

Bridge made no mistake from the spot, much to the delight of the away contingent.

There was then a let-off for Carlisle moments later when Cauley Woodrow headed against the post for the Tykes.

But things then got even better for Carlisle in the 64th minute, though, as Thomas made it 3-0. He picked the ball up on the edge of the box and drove forward, before slotting past Collins.

In the final 10 minutes, defender Aaron Hayden came on for Leicester City loanee Loft and took his place up front for the visitors, joining fellow subs Olufela Olomola and fit-again Hallam Hope.

Former Wolves man Hayden came close to adding the icing on the cake of Carlisle's performance in the final stages of normal time when his effort hit the post, Stefan Scougall also going close.

Barnsley: Collins, J Williams, Andersen, McGeehan, Woodrow, Chaplin (Bähre 60), Styles (Miller 73), Pinillos, Halme, Thiam, Wilks (L Thomas 60). Not used: Radlinger, B Williams, Sibbick, Moon.

Booked: Styles, Andersen, Bahre.

United: Collin, Elliott, Iredale, Webster, Knight-Percival, Jones, Scougall, Bridge, McKirdy (Olomola 65), N Thomas (Hope 76), Loft (Hayden 81). Not used: Gray, Mellish, Branthwaite, Sagaf.

Goals: McKirdy 24, Bridge 58 pen, Thomas 64.

Ref: Ben Toner.

Crowd: 5,208 (385 Carlisle fans).