Carlisle United’s Max Kilsby and Kai Nugent both featured as Annan Athletic picked up another point on the road.

Defender Kilsby started the game while midfielder Nugent came off the bench as Peter Murphy’s side drew 1-1 at Montrose.

Kilsby played the full game in his 15th outing of the season, while fellow teenager Nugent returned to the squad and got his seventh appearance when replacing Lewis Hunter in the 69th minute.

Murphy’s Scottish League One side took the lead through Tommy Goss’s 22nd-minute penalty before Kerr Waddell earned the hosts a point.

Annan remain second bottom of Scotland’s third tier.

Young Blues loan defender Josh O’Brien got a start for Workington Reds in their 4-3 defeat at Guiseley.

The United youth team prospect played the first half before being replaced at the break by Brad Hubbold.

That came with Reds 3-2 down before Danny Grainger’s side went on to lose by the odd goal in seven in the Northern Premier League Premier Division clash. They go to Basford United next weekend.

Carlisle’s other loanee, Jayden Harris, missed out through suspension for National League side Eastleigh as they drew 1-1 at Oldham.

The midfielder, sent off in last weekend’s FA Cup win over Boreham Wood, will return for the Spitfires’ home clash with Altrincham next weekend.

A host of ex-Blues were in the thick of the weekend action, meanwhile.

Jamie Devitt scored his first goal for Workington from the penalty spot in their clash with Guiseley, with fellow former Carlisle men Steven Rigg and David Symington also on target for Grainger’s men against opponents managed by Andy Welsh.

The Premier League saw Jarrad Branthwaite play his part in Everton’s 3-2 win at Crystal Palace, the Wigton defender starting in Sean Dyche’s defence and playing the full game in front of keeper Jordan Pickford - though Branthwaite did concede a penalty with a foul on Eberechi Eze.

James Trafford was in goal for Burnley as they lost 3-1 to Arsenal, the Greysouthen goalkeeper beaten by goals from Leandro Trossard, William Saliba and Oleksandr Zinchenko at the Emirates Stadium. Trafford saved impressively from England star Bukayo Saka but the Gunners came out on top.

In the Championship, Liam Delap – son of ex-Blues favourite Rory – hit a late winner as Hull City defeated Huddersfield Town 1-0.

Two ex-Blues were on the scoresheet in Tranmere Rovers’ 3-0 win over Forest Green Rovers – but only one was intentional.

An own-goal by the visitors’ Tyrese Omotoye gave the Wirral side the lead – before Kristian Dennis found the net with his second goal of the season for Tranmere.

Carlisle-born Joe White got another start and played the full game as Crewe Alexandra overcame Notts County 1-0.

In the National League, Olufela Olomola was on target for Bromley in their 1-1 draw at Boreham Wood.

Caretaker manager Chris Beech’s AFC Fylde went down to a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of York City.

In National League North, Cameron Salkeld got one of Darlington’s goals in a 3-2 home win over Chester, for whom George Glendon struck a consolation.

National League South saw Owen Windsor on target in Chippenham Town’s 2-2 draw at Chelmsford City.

A Tristan Abrahams penalty featured in Welling United’s 4-3 home win over Slough Town.

In Northern Premier League Premier Division, Liam Noble got Morpeth Town’s second goal in their 3-0 win at Stafford Rangers.

In NPL East, Connor Thomson was on target for Ashington as they defeated Carlton Town 4-0.

The FA Vase saw a second-half winner for Dan Kirkup as Carlisle City defeated Cheadle Town 2-1 to reach the third round for the first time in their history.

In Northern League Division One, Connor Hammell hit Penrith’s opener as they thrashed Sunderland RCA 7-1.

North of the border, former Blues trialist Lawrence Shankland hit both Hearts goals as they won 2-1 at Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership.

In Scottish League Two, Joe McKee was the late hero for Peterhead with an 89th minute winner in their 3-2 victory over Stranraer.