Bradford City 2 Carlisle United 0: Carlisle United equalled a club record for the worst goalscoring tally in a league season as their 2021/22 campaign ended in defeat.

United's failure to respond to goals from Lee Angol and Jamie Walker for Bradford ensured the Cumbrians would finish 20th - on just 39 goals from 46 games.

That matched the paltry total scored by Harry Gregg's team in 1986/7, as a poor Blues season ended on a losing note in west Yorkshire.

Angol glanced Mark Hughes' side in front on 13 minutes, before Walker fired Bradford two up on 69 minutes, moments after Carlisle had penalty appeals dismissed by ref James Bell.

The afternoon also saw a flashpoint as Hughes and United No2 Gavin Skelton clashed at half-time - while a Blues supporter was slammed for interrupting a minute's silence in memory of the victims of the 1985 Valley Parade fire before the game.

Carlisle took 1,668 fans to Bradford but Paul Simpson's team could not reward them with a goal.

Simpson made one change to his starting line-up, with Lewis Alessandra replacing the injured Joe Riley.

Teenager Jack Ellis was handed a second start.

The manager, meanwhile, promoted two more teenagers to the bench in the shape of defenders Max Kilsby - who was offered professional terms this week - and Ryan Carr.

News and Star: United react to Bradford's opening goalUnited react to Bradford's opening goal

Bradford's side also included one change, Matty Foulds replacing Liam Ridehalgh.

The game was preceded by tributes to the 56 victims of the Valley Parade fire, both captains laying wreaths to mark the 37th anniversary of the tragedy.

There was then a minute's silence, and there was fury among the home support and many of the travelling fans as someone in the away section noisily interrupted the silence before it was over. United condemned the behaviour with a comment on social media.

When the game got under way, Ellis made a confident start, making some important and well-timed interceptions as he began brightly for the Blues.

Bradford, though, soon got on top with Walker denied by Mark Howard after an initial shot had been blocked by Corey Whelan.

The hosts then went in front as they attacked United down the left and, though Carlisle felt the ball had gone out, play went on with Charles Vernam's shot finding Angol behind the defence as the striker glanced it past Howard. 

Ellis fired over the bar from a promising position a minute later, but Bradford went on to have the better of things.

News and Star: Kristian Dennis reacts after being denied a penaltyKristian Dennis reacts after being denied a penalty

Walker was again dened by Howard, then glanced a superb Luke Hendrie cross wide.

Howard then spilled a hanging Elliot Watt cross, Vernam's shot blocked by a defender, before Dion Pereira miscued a shot after being found in space from a short corner routine.

Carlisle struggled to get a handle on the Bantams' midfield for much of the first half, with Omari Patrick, booed by home fans throughout, starved of the ball for large periods.

The forward did show good persistence to win a corner in the 38th minute, Jordan Gibson also booed by fans of his former club as he picked out Brennan Dickenson to fire over the bar from 20 yards.

Carlisle then carved out a better opening when Jack Armer crossed from the left but Kristian Dennis, sliding in, couldn't reach it.

And later in the half, Alessandra saw a shot blocked by Yann Songo'o, United then unsuccessful with claims the defender handled the ball as he fell on it, with Alessandra penalised for a foul.

News and Star: Brennan Dickenson clashes with Bradford sub Callum CookeBrennan Dickenson clashes with Bradford sub Callum Cooke

There were then angry scenes after the half-time whistle as Jon Mellish and Angol clashed and, as United No2 Gavin Skelton tried to shove Angol away, home manager Hughes gave the Blues assistant a shoulder-barge and briefly squared up to him, with further gestures and scuffles breaking out between players near the tunnel.

After the break, Gibson saw a 25-yard attempt saved by Alex Bass as Carlisle looked for a way back.

Armer then had a good chance to level, when he was put through by Gibson, but Alex Gilliead slid in to block the shot.

The stadium then stood in applause in the 56th minute in further tribute to the 56 fire victims.

Home boss Hughes introduced ex-Carlisle striker Andy Cook for Angol in the 64th minute, and United felt they should have had a penalty when Gibson fed Dennis and the frontman went down in the box.

News and Star: United fans at Valley ParadeUnited fans at Valley Parade

Ref Bell, though, said no - and Bradford immediately went up the other end and doubled their lead, Hearts loan striker Walker getting behind the defence before firing low past Howard.

Simpson sent on Mitch Roberts and Tyrese Omotoye for the closing stages, and home sub Abo Eisa had a late attempt saved by Howard.

United's final attempts to score were in vain and the focus will now turn to Simpson's decisions on out-of-contract players as he prepares to rebuild an underperforming squad in the summer.

Carlisle's goal-shy end to the season, meanwhile, means it has also been the first campaign in their history when they have failed to score three goals or more in any league game

Bradford: Bass, O’Connor, Foulds, Songo’o, Hendrie, Pereira, Watt, Gilliead, Vernam (Eisa 71), Angol (Cook 64), Walker (Cooke 77). Not used: O’Donnell, Kelleher, Evans, Sutton.

Goals: Angol 13, Walker 69.

Booked: Cooke.

United: Howard, Ellis, Armer (Roberts 70), Whelan, Feeney, Mellish, Dickenson, Gibson, Patrick, Alessandra, Dennis (Omotoye 81). Not used: Norman, Devine, Simeu, Kilsby, Carr.

Booked: Whelan, Armer, Dickenson, Omotoye.

Ref: James Bell.

Crowd: 18,283 (1,668 United fans).