Former Carlisle United favourite Danny Livesey has announced his retirement.

The promotion-winning ex-Blues defender will call time on his career at the end of this season.

Livesey, 37, is currently with Chester but has now decided to hang up his boots as he prepares to start a new job.

It brings to an end a career which, at Carlisle, brought 333 appearances and some memorable moments.

It was Livesey who hit the winning penalty against Aldershot in the Conference play-off semi-final shoot-out, helping Paul Simpson's side bounce back into the Football League in 2005.

The following campaign he was a key player as Simmo's side won League Two, Livesey scoring in the 2-0 win at Rochdale which effectively sealed the title.

And the committed centre-half went on to play a crucial part in United's subsequent League One campaigns - including a place in the division's team of the season in the 2007/8 play-off campaign under John Ward.

He is in the top ten appearance makers in the Blues' history and last week returned to play in the 1994/5 v 2005/6 legends game at Brunton Park.

Livesey joined United from Bolton in 2004 and remained on the club's books until 2014.

He confirmed that this season with Chester would be his last on the club's website.

“I’m retiring at the end of the season," he said.

“I think I’ve given every last bit that I can and that my body will let me. I’m gutted, but I’ve always said that if I’m not earning my money then I’m no good to anyone.

“I’m not going to sign somewhere else when I’m breaking down all the time. I’ve had hamstring, calf, groin injuries. You feel like a little bit of a fraud by the end and that you’re letting the team down.

“I just can’t do it anymore.”

After his time at Barrow, Livesey had spells with Barrow and Salford before his move to National League North outfit Chester in 2019. Earlier this season he had a spell as caretaker manager.

Speaking about the future, he added: “I’ve just got a new job which starts in September for me in a school.

“It’s worked out really well. I’m excited about that side and that part of my life now.

“It’s time to throw all of my enthusiasm into that and see if I can make a success of it.”

Typical of Livesey's battling nature was the fact he played on with a fractured collarbone for more than an hour of a recent Chester game.

His latest outing for the club was their 0-0 draw at Alfreton on Saturday, where he played alongside long-standing friend and fellow former United team-mate Simon Grand.

READ MORE: Carlisle United's 1994/5 and 2005/6 heroes roll back the years at reunion game