Carlisle United manager Paul Simpson said stewards and police did not do enough to protect him and his backroom staff from “horrible” abuse at Tranmere Rovers.

Simpson, speaking after the Blues’ 2-2 draw, said the Blues bench had come in for “unpleasant” stick from home fans.

And the United manager said those in charge of keeping order failed to do their jobs.

“I don’t ever remember being involved in a game where it was as fiery and as hostile,” said Simpson after a game which saw major flashpoints with the home side having two players sent off.

“The stewards on this side…I don’t even know why they’ve got these hi-vis jackets on because they do absolutely nothing.

“Our bench was getting absolute verbal abuse from the supporters around it.

“Let me say, I think this is a fantastic ground, but I’ve never experienced that before.

News and Star: Tranmere's Micky Mellon, left, is bookedTranmere's Micky Mellon, left, is booked

“Today was horrible, what that bench has had to go through, with all the emotion that went with it.”

Things boiled over at Prenton Park after home defender Calum MacDonald was dismissed late in the first half for a dangerous challenge on Kelvin Mellor.

It was followed by a large scale melee involving players from both sides.

Simpson felt his players handled the heated atmosphere well, but added: “I think it was the second half when stewards lost control here and didn’t do their jobs.

“And the police in all fairness, they didn’t do their jobs either. They’re supposed to be there to protect us and they didn’t today. It wasn’t very pleasant.

“They could have and should have done more.”

News and Star: A steward takes a tumble amid the confrontation between players and subsA steward takes a tumble amid the confrontation between players and subs

The United boss was talking after a highly eventful game in which Carlisle salvaged a point deep into injury-time through Tobi Sho-Silva.

The hosts had taken the lead through Kane Hemmings, and then for a second time via Elliott Nevitt after Omari Patrick’s equaliser.

Kieron Morris became the second home player to be red-carded for a dangerous challenge on Rod McDonald shortly before sub Sho-Silva scored in the 98th minute.

After the touchline melee following MacDonald’s first-half red card, ref Charles Breakspear issued six yellow cards – including one apiece to Simpson and opposite number Micky Mellon, allegedly for failing to control their respective sides.

News and Star: Paul SimpsonPaul Simpson

“How anybody can complain about that first red card – it is a disgraceful tackle, absolutely spot on by the referee there,” Simpson added.

“[After that] he seemed to be throwing yellow cards around for all sorts. Morgan [Feeney] got a yellow card, I don’t really know what for, Dynel [Simeu] was involved in it, he got one, [Peter] Clarke got one…they were being bandied around all over.

“I got one and Micky Mellon got one for doing nothing. It’s probably the easiest yellow card I’ve picked up in my career. I didn’t get many anyway…

“The whole emotion of the situation was probably just got the better of everybody. But it’s done now. Thankfully we’re not having anybody going to get a suspension.

“The players kept a check of themselves and made sure they were clean in the way they went about it.

“I’m just so happy we’ve actually taken a point out of it, because I think we deserved it over the run of the game, the way we went about it.”

READ MORE: Tranmere Rovers 2 Carlisle United 2: Sho-Silva grabs 98th minute point in angry tussle