Carlisle United have brought Jamie Devitt back to Brunton Park on transfer deadline day.

The midfielder has left Barrow to rejoin the Blues on a short-term deal.

The move sees the Irish player rejoin the club where he spent three seasons from 2016-19.

Devitt has made six appearances in an injury-hit campaign for Barrow, having returne to action in early January after five months on the sidelines.

He has been with the south Cumbrian side for the last year.

United will be hoping Devitt can revive memories of his second two seasons with United, when the schemer twice achieved double-figure goal returns.

The former Morecambe man made 130 appearances for the Cumbrians under Keith Curle, John Sheridan and Steven Pressley.

The 31-year-old moved to Blackpool in the summer of 2019 but a change of manager saw him quickly out of favour.

Since then Devitt's first-team football has been limited, with loan spells at Bradford City and Newport County before last January's permanent move to Holker Street.

He made 17 outings for Barrow last term.

Barrow confirmed Devitt had left the club by mutual consent. Manager Mark Cooper said:  “Jamie has had a disrupted season due to injury and that didn’t give us the opportunity to see his real ability, which is a shame.

“He’s a great lad and a really good professional so he leaves with our blessing and I wish him good luck for the future.”

Devitt's arrival was announced a minute before the 11pm deadline with United confirming it was their last of a flurry of late signings.

After the afternoon loan deal for Birmingham defender Mitchell Roberts, the Blues then confirmed four deals in the last 40 minutes of the window.

They brought in Sutton United striker Tobi Sho-Silva on an 18-month deal, for an undisclosed fee.

West Brom loan frontman Owen Windsor then joined on a half-season deal.

St Mirren's former Chesterfield and Notts County man Kritsian Dennis was then unveiled on an 18-month deal.

And finally Devitt's return was confirmed by the Cumbrians.