Workington Town 14 Hunslet 32

A rough end to the regular season for Workington Town saw them go down 32-14 at home to Hunslet and leave boss Chris Thorman with food for thought.

Both sides tested each other out at the start of today’s match as they went set for set before a Brambarni bomb caused all sorts of problems for Town.

But just as Hunslet looked to go over, great defence by Jake Moore kept them out, and then Town were awarded a penalty for a high lazy arm on Conor Fitzsimmons that resulted in a head injury assessment for the stricken Town man after five minutes and a man in the bin for Hunslet.

From the penalty Town went the full set as Brad Holroyd went in right on the touchline, Forber converting for 6-0 after eight minutes.

Town then completed their first set well but then gave a penalty on the last tackle. Hunslet continued to turn the screw as Town held out again. However, a knock on by Matty Henson gave Hunslet possession on the halfway line, only for them to once again be held out.

Town gave away a penalty for high tackles in their next set and the former Newcastle man Lewis Young was nearly away, then Brambarni capitalised until a wayward pass was knocked on by Harry Kid with the line beckoning.

Town were then themselves down to 12 as Gabe Fell was sin-binned for a professional foul on the last tackle. From the resulting set Hunslet levelled the score through Michael Wood, and on 20 minutes it was six apiece at Derwent Park.

Hunslet conceded a six-again set restart from their own restart and Joe Brown crashed over following a dink kick from Jamie Doran, despite some strong Hunslet defence. Forber missed the kick and on 24 minutes the 10 men retook the lead 10-6.

On 29 minutes Town returned to a full complement but they were put under pressure from further ill discipline as old stager Alex Rowe crashed over from two yards. On 34 minutes Hunslet took the lead for the first time at 10-12.

Hunslet themselves were ill disciplined after scoring as they lifted Doran over the horizontal. They survived momentarily until a neat set of play between Gabe Fell, Matty Henson and Joe Brown sent the latter over on half time. Forber though missed his second conversion, making the score 14-12.

Three minutes into the second half Hunslet were awarded a set restart and went over 10 yards to the right of the posts. Brambarni floated the kick through and it was Town 14-18 Hunslet.

Workington were then penalised for dissent by Brad Holroyd but a kick had too much on it. Town nearly scored but Mr Crashley ruled it out. They did manage to keep Hunslet at bay, but on the next set they forced a goal line drop out from which they scored in the corner with 55 minutes played.

From the kick off Town were penalised for a tackle in the air, much to the disgust of the Derwent Park crowd. Town were penalised again for a strange tackles as both Town and Hunslet went over the horizontal. Town were 14-24 down on 58 minutes as Brambarni slotted over the two.

The sides went set for set for the next four minutes before Crashley awarded another penalty to Hunslet for a one-on-one strip and Brambarni slotted the two over to lead 14-26 with 15 minutes left.

On 67 minutes Town were through again but had it ruled out for obstruction.

Lewis Young of Hunslet went through a gap to score right under the posts and with nine minutes to go Hunslet led 14-32.

Town were nearly away with three minutes to go as Doran and Forber set a footrace off between Lewis Young and Brad Holroyd but the Hunslet man won the race.

For now, though, it is time for second-in-the-table Workington to regroup for the play-offs.