Hayes & Yeading United 2 Carlisle United 2 (Carlisle win 4-3 on penalties): Carlisle United dramatically avoided FA Cup embarrassment against Hayes & Yeading with a penalty shoot-out victory.

Gavin Reilly struck the winning sudden-death kick to finally clinch a place in the second round for Chris Beech's side.

It came after the Blues had gone to the very brink of being knocked out after the Southern League Premier Division South side scored twice to lead 2-0 in extra-time.

Omar Rowe and Amos Nasha had them in front by the 108th minute.

But Jon Mellish scored twice in the final three minutes of extra-time to take the game to spot-kicks.

Debutant Marcus Dewhurst saved twice in the shoot-out but failures from the spot by Lewis Alessandra and Joshua Kayode took it to sudden death.

Home skipper Liam McDevitt then fired wide allowing Reilly to win it for United.

Their place in Monday night's draw was far from certain throughout the Sunday afternoon tie, Carlisle unable to impose their superiority in normal time.

United boss Beech made five changes, handing a debut to keeper Dewhurst and also calling up Max Hunt, Omari Patrick, Dean Furman and Jack Armer.

They replaced Paul Farman, Rod McDonald, Callum Guy, Alessandra and Nick Anderton, with McDonald not included in the squad.

Carlisle took 11 minutes to force their first real chance, Reilly hooking a volley over the bar.

Mellish was then denied a penalty appeal before Joe Riley shot high over the bar.

Carlisle applied pressure but couldn't force clear early chances, their best efforts coming from distance, Mellish denied by keeper Jack Smith's fingertips.

After Kayode headed onto the roof of the net, Hayes & Yeading could have taken a shock lead on 33 minutes but Francis Amartey couldn't convert a cross from close range.

The home side gave United some trouble down the sides but Riley almost responded with an opener, his 30-yard shot hitting the underside of the crossbar.

Both Patrick and the hosts' Karl Cunningham charged down clearances at the respective ends but the deflections reprieved the defending sides.

After the break Furman almost opened the scoring but was denied by a flying Smith save, before Amartey wriggled through down the home left to be thwarted by Dewhurst.

Patrick had further attempts with Reilly having a header cleared off the line as Carlisle kept searching for the first goal.

Patrick, Kayode and Amartey swapped further chances before Reilly had a great opportunity on 82 minutes as he broke through onto Kayode's header.

The Scot, though, drilled against the right-hand post and United's remaining pressure in the 90 minutes couldn't force a goal, a late Jack Williams cross almost setting up Amartey in added time.

Early in extra-time Kayode saw a shot tipped over by Smith after a cross from sub Nick Anderton, with Bay Downing slicing wide in response.

Another sub, Callum Guy, rifled wide from Reilly's lay-off before Rowe stunned Carlisle in the 104th minute.

The winger seemed to have passed up the chance when failing to shoot at the end of a break down the middle, but when the ball came back to him from the right, he was somehow in space to work the ball onto his right foot and shoot low past Dewhurst.

And the hosts were in dreamland shortly after the extra-time interval when sub Nasha brought down the ball, turned and drilled it past Carlisle's keeper.

United, though, then staged a dramatic fightback with Mellish firing one back in the 118th minute.

And the midfielder made it 10 goals in 10 games at the very end of extra-time, hooking low into the net after a Kayode long throw.

That took the game dramatically to penalties, with Dewhurst denying Williams and Robinson, Alessandra hitting the post and Kayode having his kick saved, as Mellish, Anderton and Tanner were on target for Carlisle.

After it was left at 3-3 after five spot-kicks apiece, McDevitt missed and Reilly won it for the Cumbrians, who will be ball number 24 in tomorrow night's draw.

Hayes & Yeading: Smith, Downing (Johnson-Schuster 116), Norville-Williams, McDevitt, Robinson, Rowe, Sheppard (Gafaiti 110), Cunningham (Donnelly 69, Nasha 95), Amartey, Odelusi. Not used: Lavin, Bajja, Hanlon.

Goals: Rowe 104, Nasha 108.

Booked: Williams, Rowe, McDevitt, Sheppard.

Carlisle: Dewhurst, Tanner, Armer (Anderton 90), Hayden, Hunt, Furman (Guy 78), Riley (Alessandra 101), Mellish, Patrick (Obiero 83), Kayode, Reilly. Not used: Farman, Charters, Malley.

Goals: Mellish 118, 120.

Booked: Patrick, Furman.

Ref: Ollie Yates.


Gaifiti scores 1-0

Mellish scores 1-1

Williams saved 1-1

Anderton scores 1-2

Nasha scores 2-2

Alessandra misses 2-2

Robinson saved 2-2

Tanner scores 2-3

Rowe scores 3-3

Kayode saved 3-3

McDevitt misses 3-3

Reilly scores 3-4