When the 2019/2020 North Premier season is consigned to history it will certainly be logged at the Carlisle club as a campaign ruined by injuries.

A catalogue of season-ending injuries continued at Wirral with Tanian Naude the latest casualty, when he suffered a badly dislocated ankle while landing awkwardly at a line-out.

There was also the recurring problem of yellow cards, which once again had an effect, as Wirral scored two tries while the Cumbrians were down to 14 men.

That said, Wirral weren’t squeaky clean, and during the course of the game they had three men sent to the bin at separate times, but eventually finished 36-19 winners after having the four-try bonus point wrapped-up just after the 20-minute mark.

Carlisle fought particularly gamely in the second-half, when some form of respectability was gained, with tries from Josh Holmes, Ben Purdham and Dan Holmes. In fact, in the final minute they almost claimed a bonus point when they got over the line but couldn’t ground the ball.

Carlisle went into the game two places and three points behind their hosts, lying in the last relegation place.

They are now eight points behind them and four points short of safety, with second bottom Morpeth only a point behind.

They are back at Warwick Road tomorrow with a visit from Billingham, who currently lie third in the table in a clutch of clubs who are five points behind the leaders Blaydon.

It is one of six games Carlisle have left, and they need to start picking up points in all of them - even those against the better teams.

In North One, West Penrith have now officially been docked five points for not fulfilling their fixture at Wilmslow.

That game has since been played, and although they haven’t won a game in 2020, there have been some encouraging efforts.

It was especially true on Saturday, when the Cumbrians were narrowly beaten 15-10 at home by leaders Burnage.

They had gone into the game on the back of seven straight defeats and there can be little doubt that were they in a better run of form, with a bit more confidence, they would have turned them over.

Penrith have struggled to get anything like their best fifteen on the pitch this year, but this side was as close to it as they have had.

Two tries from Tom Lindsay had given them the lead, but Burnage scored twice before the break, converting one and kicking a penalty.

Penrith were slow out of the blocks after the interval, and for 20 minutes were hardly out of their own half.

They did, however, keep their line intact, and when they got back into the game they went close on a number of occasions.

The league leaders were relieved when the final whistle went and the points were safe, but the final play was a disaster for the home side as Chris Jackson went down, and was later taken to hospital with an ankle dislocated and broken in three places.

Also limping off, and unlikely to be fit this week, were Dalton Frith, Jay Rossi and Brad Quail, which makes the trip to Northwich much more difficult.

Keswick stayed bottom when they lost 22-7 at home to Altrincham Kersal.

It was the first time a female referee, Rebecca Rees from the Northumberland Society, had taken charge of a first XV game at Davidson Park.

Still pushing for promotion, Kersal led 22-0 at half-time and they had done it against the wind.

It looked ominous for the hosts, who dug-in and scored the only points of the second half - a try from Ryan Weir, converted by Lewis Bell.

Tomorrow’s fixture may help determine who will collect the League’s wooden spoon, with Warrington hosting Keswick.

The home side are one point ahead of Keswick at the foot of the table.

Aspatria have climbed to sixth in North Two West, after an excellent 13-12 away win at Southport.

Young back rower Jamie Lightfoot scored the try at Southport, converted by Jack Clegg who added two penalties.

Once relegation candidates, Aspatria - now 11 points clear of the dropzone, and aiming for a top-half finish - entertain Tarleton tomorrow, who are two points and two places behind them in the table.

In the Cumbria League, Silloth unfortunately, had to cry-off their fixture with Wigton.

St Benedict’s and Cockermouth both won to stay first and second - and they clash tomorrow in the match of the day.

Wigton visit Whitehaven and Creighton travel to Windermere.