The Window Outlet Cockermouth and District Snooker League took a break this week to make way for cup action as final qualifying of the Eric McMullen Memorial Trophy Sevens Handicap took place.

Station Road club saw both teams dominate as the A team defeated Workington Golf Club 4-2 to finish top of Group One and join their B team who already topped Group Two.

In Station A’s match against the Golfers, a Ryan Ismay victory put the latter one up but Keith Telford ground out a win to level.

A victory for Stephen Jackson put the Golf Club back in front but Station A applied some pressure to draw level with a win from Tom Thompson then built on the momentum with wins from Mark Robertson and Andrew Henderson.

In the other Group One match Flimby Social travelled to Workington Cons, and even though the Social outfit had the handicap advantage they crashed to a 4-0 defeat.

Victories for Alan Moore, Dave Holland, Julian Plaza and Ryan Barker were enough to see the Flimby team off early; however, due to defeats in their first games the Cons could only make the plate along with their opponents.

In Group Two, with Station Road B already assured of top spot, Workington Veterans Club’s semi-final fate was in their own hands and with a 4-2 home victory against Workington Legion they achieved qualification.

A first-frame win for Chris Hunter put the Legion 1-0 up but, as the Vets claimed frame two, the match score was level.

Frame three was won by Vets’ Mike Dawson but back came the Legion with a Louise Evans win for 2-2.

Steve Garroway trailed throughout frame five but potted the final black to nick a 3-2 Vets lead.

Vets captain Kevin Basnett then found his potting boots to take his team into the semis with a comfortable sixth-frame victory.

Finally, the only other match in Group Two saw Workington’s United Club make the journey to Maryport, and even though the town side came out on top, their 4-2 victory against the Social Club was all in vain, with both sides having to settle for a plate semi-finals spot.

Andrew Sharp and Ben Scott gave Maryport the perfect start for 2-0 but the United comeback started with a Sal Cakmak win, followed quickly with further victories from Tony Hindmoor and Andrew Mitchelhill.

With the match advantage now in the favour of the United Club, Brian Kendall finished the job off nicely with a solid performance in frame six.