Carlisle United say they are confident tomorrow night's home game against Cheltenham with Brunton Park will go ahead.

The stadium has survived the worst of Storm Ciara and with last night's flood waters on Warwick Road having receded, the ground is ready for the match.

United say they will still take heed of Environment Agency weather warnings but a lack of rain today has eased fears the game could be in doubt.

Groundsman David Mitchell has been working on the pitch today, part of which was under some standing water last night but was clear this morning.

Carlisle told the News & Star that, should things remain as they are, the game will be on as planned.

The Blues said all their players made it in for training today despite travel into the area being disrupted in certain places.

Head coach Chris Beech and his staff put alternative plans in place with the main training pitch next to the ground having been flooded.

Car parking for the Cheltenham game could be affected, but United said they will provide updates tomorrow.

There is relief at the club that last night's flooding abated in the nick of time, meaning there was no repeat of the severe floods the club has previously faced.

While residents near the ground were also facing an anxious wait as water poured onto Warwick Road, United said one player - Mo Sagaf - was in one of the club's houses on the street.

They say director Suzanne Kidd was in regular contact with the midfielder to offer reassurance and advice as the situation developed.

No evacuations were in the end needed and Sagaf was able to remain in the house.

United staff found that the stadium had this morning avoided any serious damage as the flood waters receded.

The training pitch was completely submerged at the worst of the flooding, but the ground itself was not affected.

United staff admitted it had been an anxious night as water started to encroach towards the ground.

As the risk of flooding developed, Blues staff moved many items from ground level to upper floors of the stadium.

Club spokesman Andy Hall said this morning: "Thank you to the Environment Agency and police for the way they monitored and helped us through what was a very trying day for everybody yesterday.

“We took remedial action with the removal of everything we could get from the bottom floor to upper floors of the stadium throughout the evening, as it became apparent that Storm Ciara was another potential major event.

“The flood gates were closed as the river levels began to creep towards the Warwick Road area; some areas of Warwick Road were affected anyway.

“With ourselves at Brunton Park we know that, when the water table rises, water starts to encroach onto the stadium area, and that did happen.

“Our chief executive Nigel Clibbens and fellow director Suzanne Kidd are able to monitor these things via a remote app connected to our CCTV cameras. We were getting snapshots from them, which had us all worried - showing water coming towards the East Stand and to the pitch area.

“There was standing water on the East Stand road area, leading up to the car parking areas, and training pitch and car park areas were completely submerged.

“In terms of standing water on the pitch, it was a couple of inches deep at the Waterworks End, just shy of the penalty spot.

“This morning when we arrived into work, that had receded considerably, the water just about off the pitch completely - and as ever we could hear the buzz of the lawnmower as Dave Mitchell carried out preparations for the Cheltenham Town game."

United bosses have been speaking to their Cheltenham counterparts today to update tomorrow's opposition on the situation.

The club said their thoughts were with everyone in the area who has been affected by the storm.

They added that they were touched by the number of people who had contacted the club to express their concerns and good wishes.

Hall said: "These events serve as a huge reminder to us of how much this football club means to the people of this city, county and community.

“Even though people were facing the risk of being flooded themselves - including residents very close to us on Warwick Road - their main concern has been to ask us how things are at the club, and ‘will the game be on?’

"It takes your breath away; it’s quite overwhelming."

United this morning said season-ticket and disabled car parking areas are expected to be open as normal tomorrow with other supporters' parking areas likely to be out of action, but further information will be given tomorrow.

Strong winds and rain/sleet are forecast tomorrow night.