Distington’s progress in the Coral Challenge Cup ended at Underbank Rangers.

The Iggesund Cumberland League champions lost 28-14 so miss the opportunity to test themselves against professional opposition in the third round.

In a hard, physical contest Distington gave the National Conference Premier Division side plenty to think about.

The Cumbrians had been 14-0 down during the first-half before a Steven Conway try, converted by Clayton Sutton got Distington back into it at the break.

Although Underbank scored another converted try, Distington responded well with a second try, this time by Grant Dryden and Sutton’s conversion, plus a penalty meant it was 20-14 with 20 minutes left.

The Huddersfield side clinched their place in the third-round draw with a converted try and a penalty in the closing stages.

In the BARLA National Cup, Aspatria Hornets put up a gutsy show against Blackbrook before going down 46-22.

A quarter of the way into the game the Hornets had shocked their hosts by going into a 10-4 lead.

Despite conceding a try on two minutes Aspatria came back with two themselves.

On 12minutes Luke Crossman was put over by Luke Johnson who added the conversion. Then six minutes later Aspatria attacked down the blindside from a play-the-ball. Scott Donald fed Mark Irwin and he charged through the defenders to go over.

Two tries inside four minutes before the half hour mark enabled Blackbrook to turn round 16-10 to the good.

Three more tries in 11 minutes after the resumption really took the game away.

Aspatria did reduce the deficit on 55 minutes when a Blackbrook mistake and good passing freed Kristian Beattie to run in for the try which was improved by Johnson.

Two more Blackbrook tries took them well clear before, on 70 minutes, excellent approach work from the Hornets produced a quick passing move to release Beattie for his second try which Johnson goaled.

The game was stopped for nearly five minutes at 42-22 while Aspatria's Irwin was treated for a dislocated elbow, which was put back in.

There was still time for one more Blackbrook try, scored off a scrum, before the final whistle.