Visitors Trafford have a one-goal advantage at the break over Workington Reds.

It has been a bit of a scrappy game but Reds have had their chances to get on the scoresheet but couldn't get that final touch.

Reds suffered an early blow when Dav Symington had to leave the field after just about 20 seconds had gone with a back problem so Brad Carroll made an early start to the game, replacing him.

Nathan Waterston had a couple of quick opportunities but skyed both efforts to put his team ahead against visitors Trafford.

And inside the first 10 minutes they probably should have gone 1-0 up. Some great teamwork set the ball up nicely for Brad Hubbold to finish it off but he shot agonisingly wide of the target.

Scott Allison had a close range effort blocked going out for a corner and Reds were looking like they had the edge.

But still they couldn't find that elusive goal and their opponents were coming more into the game.

Lewis Walters missed a golden opportunity for Trafford with only keeper Jim Atkinson to beat but, much to the Reds's faithful's delight he shot wide.

Then, on the break, Allison got the ball in the area, turned and let loose with a shot but it took a deflection off the defence.

But it only went to the feet of Waterston but his shot was well saved by the keeper Matthew Cooper.

Matty Clarke showed some great defence when blocked a whipped in cross that looked to go out for a corner but the linesman also had his flag up for offside against a Trafford player and Reds got the ball back.

As the half wore on a long ball found Waterston out on the right and he managed to whip it back but Carroll's final touch was poor and it went out of play without troubling the keeper.

Then inside the 41st minute the Trafford threat truly emerged. An early ball in for Walters saw him beat the Reds defence to get the final touch and slot it past Atkinson to give the visitors the lead.

Waterston tried to get his team back into the game when he put a cross in in the dying minutes of the half but nobody could get on the end and it was Trafford who went in at the break with the advantage.