Workington Reds have a two goal cushion over visitors Dunston at half time in this Boxing Day clash at Borough Park.

Goals from Nathan Waterston and Conor Tinnion have put Reds in the driving seat and deservedly so.

The home side have had the majority of possession and chances this afternoon as Reds also say farewell to Gari Rowntree on his retirement.

There was an early chance for Reds as a thunderbolt free kick from Conor Tinnion swung in low and towards the far post but it just shaded the wrong side.

Nathan Waterston got the ball from a Reds breakaway and turned the defender in the box before looking to curl his shot in but it just took a deflection to go out for a corner.

This was dealt with but Reds were looking much better than their opponents in the opening 15 minutes.

And it eventually showed as, from a corner, a Dan Wordsworth header was blocked but Waterston was on hand to swing it around and slide it into the net to give his side the lead.

A Dav Symington effort was just palmed away by the keeper and then Dunston had their best effort of the game when Scott Heslop went close, his final effort going over the bar.

Scott Allison looked to turn a dead ball into a chance as he pulled it back across goal but Dunston quickly fired it out for a corner which was eventually rattled high and wide by Symington.

Az fantastic ball from Brad Hubbold gave Waterston the ball at his feet with just the keeper to beat.

But Karl Dryden did well, coming out to close the striker down and Waterston tried to take it past him but it ran too far and went dead.

A Matty Clarke shot was put into the danger area and then Conor Tinnion stretched a foot out to turn it into the goal and give Reds a two cushion advantage just ahead of the break.

Tinnion thought he had maybe got a second as he fired from close range just a minute later but this time the keeper managed to palm it away.

But it was still nearly another goal as it struck Waterston but just lifted over the bar and Reds remained 2-0 to the good at half time.