Workington Reds demolished a 10-man Prescot Cables side with four goals inside 15 minutes to stay on top of the league.

There was no sign of this result at half time as the two sides were deadlocked at 0-0 and the visitors maybe just shading the performance.

But the visitors went down to 10-men on 64 minutes, after sub Lloyd Dean was sent from the field for throwing a punch.

And Reds used their advantage well to put the pressure on and when the first goal went in from Dav Symington, the floodgates soon opened and they recorded a 4-0 win.

The home side made just one real change from last week with on-loan Carlisle United youngster Taylor Charters starting in place of Brad Hubbold.

Reds survived some early danger from their visitors as they made a swift start to the game and put the pressure on, requiring a good clearance from Ceiran Casson to avert any danger.

And just three minutes in, the icy rain turned to hail and began to hit Borough Park, along with gusts of win that could have proved problematic for both sides.

James Edgar tried his luck for Prescot and nipped past two defenders before sliding a shot just past the far post of Jim Atkinson's goal as Reds breathed a sigh of relief.

Taylor Charters, in his first game on loan from Carlisle, made a good first impact as he played a nice ball in to Robbie Hebson who found himself with space on the left hand side.

Hebson slid the ball across but Prescot just got in there to clear before the onrushing attackers.

And moments later a block was needed to keep out a thundering shot from Scott Allison as Reds looked to get back into the game, which had been dominated by their opponents in the opening moments.

Reds got two free kicks in quick succession and got the ball to the feet of Casson whose shot was blocked. Allison came in with a second attempt but it took a touch from a Prescot defender and went out for a corner.

That was eventually dealt with but Reds kept going and Matty Clarke got the ball in to meet the head of Dan Wordsworth in the area but his effort went well wide.

Prescot had a golden opportunity just before the half hour mark to take the lead when James Edgar had done all the hard work and slid the ball to the feet of Mosopeluwe Awe.

He had just the keeper to beat but he won't want to watch what happened next as he put his effort wide of the target with the Reds defence closing in on both sides.

Liam Brockbank brought the ball out of his half using pace and fed the ball in to Allison in the centre. But after a quick game of ping-pong the ball came off the chest of Tinnion and into the arms of the keeper.

Casson again showed off his skills and put a neat ball forward looking for Allison but the forward just couldn't control it in time and the chance went begging.

Reds couldn't make the best out of a free kick won by Allison when he was wrapped up by the defender. Tinnion lofted it in but Smith was penalised in the area and Prescot were handed a free kick to clear.

Into the final minute of the half and the ante was upped as Martyn Jackson saw his effort rocket into the arms of Atkinson.

Then Reds broke to the opposite end of the field and a shot from Charters had to be parried away by the keeper Ollie Taylor.

Prescot had another good chance in the opening minutes of the second as Jackson this time struck wide of the target but his side had definitely fired another warning shot to Reds.

And moments later another shot from the visitors rolled just past Atkinson's post.

An early shot from Charters looked to redress the balance and turn the game in Reds' favour but Taylor dealt with it at the second attempt.

Brockbank and Charters combined to get a cross in but the final shot from Waterston was deflected out for a corner as Reds made their first change with Dav Symington replacing Robbie Hebson.

The first yellow card of the game came in the 58th minute as Josh Gregory brought down Allison but the free kick couldn't be converted by Reds.

The game erupted on 64 minutes when Lloyd Dean, who had only been on the field for two minutes was sent off for throwing a punch in the penalty area.

But against the 10-men of Prescot, Reds finally found the chink in their armour. A good tackle from Clarke saw the ball fall to the feet of Nathan Waterston and he took off down the right and got a quick cross in.

It was met on the run by Symington and he connected with it well and the ball shot past the keeper to give Reds the lead.

This was just the spur that Reds needed and just five minutes later they were two clear after more good work from Clarke. He got the ball across to Casson and he calmly placed the ball past the keeper for 2-0.

It was three soon after and the third goal was top class. Brad Hubbold took a free kick and put the ball to the far side of the field where Symington was in space.

He let loose with a rocket of a shot from wide out and it sailed into the top corner as the rest of the players could only stand and watch.

Symington was on a roll and looking for his hat-trick as he tried again moments later. He fired off another bullet but this time the keeper was able to parry it away.

Reds had not finished and a fourth goal came with three minutes remaining. Allison found himself in the area and with time and he made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

Five minutes were added on to the game, after the earlier problems and Reds won a free kick on the edge of the area with Symington standing over it.

He hammered it goalwards but Taylor was up to the task and blocked it well to deny the Reds star his third for a second time in a short space of time.