At half time there are no goals in the clash between Workington Reds and Prescot Cables, despite a flurry of chances in the final couple of minutes.

Reds survived some early danger from their visitors as they made a swift start to the game and put the pressure on, requiring a good clearance from Ceiran Casson to avert any danger.

And just three minutes in, the icy rain turned to hail and began to hit Borough Park, along with gusts of win that could have proved problematic for both sides.

James Edgar tried his luck for Prescot and nipped past two defenders before sliding a shot just past the far post of Jim Atkinson's goal as Reds breathed a sigh of relief.

Taylor Charters, in his first game on loan from Carlisle, made a good first impact as he played a nice ball in to Robbie Hebson who found himself with space on the left hand side.

Hebson slid the ball across but Prescot just got in there to clear before the onrushing attackers.

And moments later a block was needed to keep out a thundering shot from Scott Allison as Reds looked to get back into the game, which had been dominated by their opponents in the opening moments.

Reds got two free kicks in quick succession and got the ball to the feet of Casson whose shot was blocked. Allison came in with a second attempt but it took a touch from a Prescot defender and went out for a corner.

That was eventually dealt with but Reds kept going and Matty Clarke got the ball in to meet the head of Dan Wordsworth in the area but his effort went well wide.

Prescot had a golden opportunity just before the half hour mark to take the lead when James Edgar had done all the hard work and slid the ball to the feet of Mosopeluwe Awe.

He had just the keeper to beat but he won't want to watch what happened next as he put his effort wide of the target with the Reds defence closing in on both sides.

Liam Brockbank brought the ball out of his half using pace and fed the ball in to Allison in the centre. But after a quick game of ping-pong the ball came off the chest of Tinnion and into the arms of the keeper.

Casson again showed off his skills and put a neat ball forward looking for Allison but the forward just couldn't control it in time and the chance went begging.

Reds couldn't make the best out of a free kick won by Allison when he was wrapped up by the defender. Tinnion lofted it in but Smith was penalised in the area and Prescot were handed a free kick to clear.

Into the final minute of the half and the ante was upped as Martyn Jackson saw his effort rocket into the arms of Atkinson.

Then Reds broke to the opposite end of the field and a shot from Charters had to be parried away by the keeper Ollie Taylor.