Penrith coach David Preston had targeted 10 points from the two remaining games before Christmas against two of the sides struggling in the league’s drop zone.

The first, at home to Warrington, was successfully accomplished with a 29-10 win, although the visitors proved a much stiffer task than some of Preston’s side appreciated.

The Cumbrians eventually did get their win and four-try bonus-point but it didn’t look on the cards in the first half after they turned round on level terms at 10-10.

Penrith did open the scoring but only when they saw fit to move the ball wide when Fraser Nicolson found Dylan Cowperthwaite on the right-wing and he went in at the corner.

A penalty got the visitors on the score-sheet and they grabbed a 10-5 lead with a well-worked converted try.

Just before the break, Scott Lancaster made good ground and then the ball went wide where the home side were at their most dangerous, and Jay Rossi squeezed over in the corner.

The second-half was a different story after Penrith had introduced newcomer Mason Lewthwaite into the inside-centre berth and he was instrumental in the home side’s third try and impressed throughout.

George Graham set him up for a charge into the visitor’s midfield and the ball was then recycled several times before they scored.

Graham looked as if he was going to snipe himself but cleverly fed the ball back inside to Adam Howe who barrelled over.

Minutes later, another piece of concerted Penrith play and long period of possession saw Graham claim the bonus-point try.

Late on, Tom Lindsay broke down the blindside to find Graham on the outside and he put Cowperthwaite away on the wide outside for a simple run in.

Keswick were looking for points from their home clash with Firwood Waterloo to move above Warrington but lost 25-8.

Their second-half performance in most games this season has outshone their first-half efforts and this match was no exception. Despite losing the first half by 17 points they managed to draw the second half, with an unconverted try each.

Keswick had gone ahead on six minutes with a penalty by Lewis Bell but, within five minutes, the visitors had taken the lead with an unconverted try from a five-metre line-out.

The second unconverted try for the visitors came after 22 minutes when their forwards picked and drove over a number of phases.

Five minutes later another penalty kicked to the corner was mauled and driven before being run left where an overlap allowed the winger to cross for the third unconverted try.

The restart was won by Firwood Waterloo who scored their bonus point try only three minutes later and it looked like being long afternoon for Keswick.

It stayed at 20-3 until the break but five minutes after the break, from an attacking scrum, the visitors’ number eight drove over for the fifth unconverted try.

Keswick began to see a lot more of the ball and were finally rewarded when an unnecessary quick throw by Firwood Waterloo on their own 10-metre line was kicked through.

Ryan Weir caught it inside the Keswick 10-metre line and ran down the right-hand touch, evading three tackles to touch down in the corner.