Cumbria’s bid to clinch the Tri-Series at Millom on Saturday ended in disappointment.

After an exciting and deserved win away to champions Lancashire, the Cumbrians were steamrollered 30-0 by Yorkshire at Millom.

Yorkshire had been completely focused on what was required, having travelled up on the Friday and stayed overnight.

It resulted in a powerful performance which will make them big favourites to clinch the title at Heworth on Sunday when they host Lancashire.

Their victory stemmed from a rousing start when they were 10-0 ahead inside 12 minutes.

Jamie Fields, part of a strong Hunslet Club Parkside representation, went in for a try which he converted himself and Danny Rowse also got over.

Although Cumbria steadied the ship, they fell further behind just before the interval when Kieran Murphy went in for an unconverted try.

The game was up for Cumbria by the hour mark after Nathan Slater got through twice for touchdowns, both converted by Gareth Blackburn.

There were some notable efforts in the Cumbrian ranks, particularly from the Egremont pair Leon Crellin and Matthew Bewsher, along with Jason Graham (Ellenborough) and Johnny Goulding (Cockermouth).

But it was Yorkshire who even had the final word as Sam Walsh charged over for their sixth try just before the final whistle blew.

Cumbria’s under-19s completed their programme with a second defeat but emerged with a lot of credit from their game with Yorkshire.

With just 20 minutes left ,Yorkshire had the luxury of a 22-6 lead, but a thrilling rally by the Cumbrians almost snatched them victory.

In the end they just fell short and were beaten 22-20 but Yorkshire certainly knew they had been in a game and it had been anything but comfortable for them throughout.

The fightback had started with unconverted tries by Evan Jones and Jacob Johnson, and they were right back on Yorkshire’s tail when Jack Stevenson crossed and Jack Kellett converted.

A late push for glory was hampered when Charlie Emslie was yellow-carded for obstruction and Yorkshire saw it through nervously to the end.

Cumbria had actually gone in front with a try by Ethan Bickerdike, converted by Kellett,

before Yorkshire came back to build a big lead.

Callum Burden scored two tries and Niall Green and Kai Fowler added one each to the tally, with Aaron Brooke kicking three goals.

The title decider, like the open age contest, is set to take place at Heworth on Sunday.