After the international break, Annan Athletic were back in action at Galabank as they welcomed Brechin City in the second round of the William Hill Scottish Cup, giving up a two-goal lead in the 2-2 draw.

It’s the fourth time the two clubs have met in the Scottish Cup, with the previous three meetings all requiring a replay to settle the tie - and so will this tie with Tommy Muir on target twice for the Black and Golds in the first period before the away team's second-half fightback.

Annan manager Peter Murphy made changes to the team which last played in the league win at Hampden, with new loan keeper Kelby Mason making his debut, while Lewis McLear and Broque Watson got the nod ahead of Jordan Holt and Christian Nade.

The opening stages of the game were pretty even with both teams having efforts on goal. Kyle Bradley’s volleyed shot sailed over the bar in the seventh minute and the midfielder found himself in an advanced position again 12 minutes later, but the shot was well held by Lewis McMinn in the City goal.

At the other end, Ross Crawford saw his effort go wide of the post and Annan were fortunate when loan keeper Mason failed to hold Olly Hamilton’s shot. Kieran Inglis was presented with a great opportunity but managed to miss the target, much to the relief of the Annan defence.

It was a missed chance that came back to bite the visitors.

In the 28th minute, Annan opened the scoring. Kyle Wilkie’s cross found Muir who made no mistake, powering a header into the back of the net.

Brechin tried to hit back with a couple of efforts from Crawford, the first being saved by Mason and, a minute later, a header from a free-kick crept wide of the post.

Again, Annan made their opponents pay for missed chances in the 39th minute. A brilliant turn in the box by McLear was enough to draw a foul and the ref had no hesitation in awarding the penalty. Muir fired home from the spot for his second of the game.

Brechin made a change at half-time, with Matthew Knox replacing Ryan McCord and it was the away side that started the brighter in the second half.

There was a stroke of bad fortune in the 54th minute when Paul McManus’s headed shot was saved by Mason, the ball bounced back off player-assistant manager Darren Barr and into his own net.

Murphy introduced new signing Nathan Flanagan in the 60th minute to try and add the extra spark in attack. Muir went close from a corner on 69 minutes but the bullet header went over the bar. Jamie Ballantyne then shot high and wide after good play by Watson.

Matthew Knox went close for Brechin before Flanagan saw his solo effort go wide of the post.

Annan brought on Nade but, just minutes, later came a massive blow as the visitors got their deserved equaliser with a fine finish from Paul McManus.

Athletic had one last chance with a Matty Douglas header but the Brechin defence blocked and, for the fourth consecutive time, a Scottish Cup tie between these two team is needing a replay, which will be played next Saturday, to settle the tie.