Annan Athletic 1 Elgin City 1: Annan Athletic and Elgin City had to be content with a share of the points after a keenly-contested match. 

Peter Murphy's Annan will look back on the match as yet another game where a controversial refereeing decision could have cost them dearly after Elgin went ahead in the 75th minute.

Annan won a free-kick in the Elgin half but the ball was blocked by a visiting defender who was only a few yards from where the kick was awarded. 

From the blocked ball, Elgin broke up the left, ending with the unmarked Shane Sutherland scoring from close-range from Kane Hester’s cross to give the away team the lead.

The dreadful weather leading up to the match, and flooding of the surrounding roads and areas, resulted in the Elgin team bus arriving later than scheduled but the match kicked off on time.

Annan elected to play with the wind in their favour in the first half and it was the home side who were the dominant team throughout the half.

The first 15 minutes saw Annan take the game to Elgin with Scott McLean’s efforts in the 23rd and 24th minutes going close. 

Elgin were being forced back and, in the 35th minute, McLean went close when a low free-kick went narrowly past the post.

As the half approached the final five minutes, Annan had claims for a penalty turned away as Steven Swinglehurst fell to the ground. From the resulting McLean corner, the ball flashed across the face of the goal, begging for a touch.

The second half was more evenly contested.

McLear’s 48th-minute effort from the edge of the box never really tested the Elgin keeper. 

Hester tried his luck in the 57th minute but the effort went wide of the target. 

Then came Sutherland’s controversial opener.

The introduction of Russell Currie in the 78th minute gave Annan new options up front, and Athletic levelled the scores in the 80th minute from a corner, when Matty Douglas rose above everyone at the back post to head home.

The last 10 minutes were end-to-end with both teams looking to secure the winner and Annan keeper Aaran Taylor was called upon to pull off a fine save at full stretch to deny Daniel McKay.