Swindon Town 3 Carlisle United 2: Canice Carroll was sent off against his former club as Swindon came from behind to beat Carlisle United.

Carroll was shown a straight red card just 24 minutes after coming on in the second half, for a dangerous challenge on Jordan Lyden.

That came after Jerry Yates and Zeki Fryers had scored to overturn United's lead earned through Olufela Olomola.

Kaiyne Woolery then wrapped up the points for the hosts with a last-minute break as debutant sub Mo Sagaf grabbed a late Blues consolation.

The flurry of goals all came after the break with United having made it to half-time intact despite heavy Swindon pressure.

The home side hit the woodwork and forced a series of chances with midfielder Michael Doughty curling against the bar from the edge of the box on five minutes.

That featured in a dominant start by Richie Wellens' side, who forced a series of corners which examined Steven Pressley's defence.

Lyden shot wide amid further Swindon raids and it took United until the 24th minute to create anything themselves, when Jack Bridge linked with Nathan Thomas before seeing his shot parried by keeper Luke McCormick.

Carlisle otherwise struggled to make any real inroads despite the efforts of Harry McKirdy and Bridge on the break, with Olomola sometimes isolated as the lone striker and United's passing and positioning sometimes getting them into trouble.

Ex-United man Yates fired over for Swindon after getting behind Byron Webster on 29 minutes, while a minute later Keshi Anderson wasted a free header when he sent his effort high over the bar.

Keeper Adam Collin kept out Woolery's angled shot and saved again from the hosts' number 11 as they broke quickly.

Collin saved a Yates drive as United reached the interval at 0-0.

They then stunned the Robins by going ahead on 51 minutes, McKirdy making a brilliant run down the left before pulling back for Olomola to slot home.

The lead, though, lasted only six minutes as Swindon's Isgrove broke into the box and Yates was credited with the final touch of the resulting scramble.

Nathaniel Knight-Percival and Lyden were booked for clashing after the goal as Pressley then brought on Carroll and Ryan Loft for McKirdy and Olomola.

Swindon then piled on further pressure with Doughty and Anderson going close.

They then took the lead on 70 minutes when Doughty's corner was headed home by left-back Fryers.

Collin denied Woolery after a Webster error with Nathan Thomas denied by McCormick at the other end.

Carroll then saw red for his challenge as the ball broke between him and Lyden on 83 minutes.

Swindon then extended their lead when Woolery was sent onside and free to slot past Collin in the 90th minute.

Sagaf, who had come on for his debut in the 79th minute to replace Stefan Scougall, gave Carlisle late hope when he turned home Thomas's cross at close range.

But United could not find a way back in what remained of added time.

Swindon: McCormick, Hunt, Conroy, Baudry, Fryers, Lyden, Doughty, Isgrove (Twine 90), Woolery, Anderson, Yates. Subs: Henry, Reid, May, McGlashan, Ballard, Curran.

Goals: Yates 57, Fryers 70, Woolery 90

Booked: Doughty, Wellens

United: Collin, Elliott, Mellish, Webster, Knight-Percival, Jones, Bridge, Scougall (Sagaf 79), McKirdy (Carroll 59), Thomas, Olomola (Loft 59) Subs: Gray, Iredale, Hayden, Branthwaite.

Goals: Olomola 51, Sagaf 90

Sent off: Carroll

Crowd: 7,024 (298 Carlisle fans)