Workington Town collected two points with a clear-cut victory over Keighley Cougars.

It wasn't the most exciting of games but Town did enough to claim the win 52-4 and most importantly the League 1 points as they got back in the hunt for a play-off berth.

It was a mixed bag to start with, as both sides made early errors but it was Workington who got the first points on the board.

As they closed in on the line, Jamie Doran slipped out a neat little pass to the supporting Declan O'Donnell and he raced through the gap to touch down, with Carl Forber adding the extras.

But after a mistake from the kick off Keighley nearly got right back into the game but a loose pass went past the winger and right out into touch.

The Cougars were looking determined and when they put into a kick in on the last it was scooped up by Scott Rooke but a determined visiting defence put him right into touch to get the ball back in a dangerous position.

In the next set, Keighley forced a drop-out and Town had to put in a great defensive stint to keep them out.

It was try scorer O'Donnell who relieved the pressure as he got onto a loose ball and raced over 40-metres up the field before he was hauled back. Sean Penkywicz and Rooke then took it closer before the ball went out to the right.

Doran put boot to ball and it was Jonathan Walsh who hared after it, just beating the Keighley defender, to dot it down over the line and Forber again was on target to double the lead.

Keighley found a way back into the game when they pinned Town back on their own line and Jason Muranka twisted out of the tackle to put the ball down but Benn Hardcastle missed the resulting conversion.

A high tackle on Forber earned Town a penalty close to the sticks and wisely they chose to slot it over with the scrum-half obliging himself.

Then, with seven minutes remaining, Fuifui Moimoi charged over from close range to leave Forber with an easy two-pointer and Town reached the 20-point mark.

And just before the half time hooter sounded Moimoi went close again then Penkywicz took the ball and looped it out to Scott Rooke who had come inside. He, in turn, passed out to centre Perry Singleton wide out who strolled over to make it 24-4 at the break.

Into the second half and it was the home side who added to their lead when Forber put in a little grubber kick to the line and followed it up to touch down, and add the extras for 30-4.

Tom Curwen was the next on the scoresheet as he crashed over from close range and when Forber tagged on the extras Town were 36-4 ahead.

And moments later they were nearly in again when Gordon Maudling made a great break down the left hand side, he fed the supporting Forber. He slipped it to Singleton but the centre could not hang on to the pass and a chance went begging.

Maudling got his just rewards after 68 minutes when he took advantage of a missed tackle to race through the Keighley defence and score.

And with Forber off the field, Doran stepped up to take over the kicking duties and duly obliged.

Sam Hewitt ran at a great angle to score with six minutes left on the clock and Doran again added the extras to take Town just short of the 50-point mark.

Unfortunately minutes later he was off the field as he was handed a yellow card for a tripping offence on Cougars' Jack Miller who looked clean through to score after a great break from Hardcastle.

But the final word still belonged to Workington as Scott Rooke scored just before the hooter sounded and although the kick did not reach its target, Town had won the game at 52-4.