Workington Town have a 20-point advantage over visitors Keighley Cougars at the break.

In a game that took a while to get going, Town have taken their chances to go 24-4 clear at half time.

It was a mixed bag to start with, as both sides made early errors but it was Workington who got the first points on the board.

As they closed in on the line, Jamie Doran slipped out a neat little pass to the supporting Declan O'Donnell and he raced through the gap to touch down, with Carl Forber adding the extras.

But after a mistake from the kick off Keighley nearly got right back into the game but a loose pass went past the winger and right out into touch.

The Cougars were looking determined and when they put into a kick in on the last it was scooped up by Scott Rooke but a determined visiting defence put him right into touch to get the ball back in a dangerous position.

In the next set, Keighley forced a drop-out and Town had to put in a great defensive stint to keep them out.

It was try scorer O'Donnell who relieved the pressure as he got onto a loose ball and raced over 40-metres up the field before he was hauled back. Sean Penkywicz and Rooke then took it closer before the ball went out to the right.

Doran put boot to ball and it was Jonathan Walsh who hared after it, just beating the Keighley defender, to dot it down over the line and Forber again was on target to double the lead.

Keighley found a way back into the game when they pinned Town back on their own line and Jason Muranka twisted out of the tackle to put the ball down but Benn Hardcastle missed the resulting conversion.

A high tackle on Forber earned Town a penalty close to the sticks and wisely they chose to slot it over with the scrum-half obliging himself.

Then, with seven minutes remaining, Fuifui Moimoi charged over from close range to leave Forber with an easy two-pointer and Town reached the 20-point mark.

And just before the half time hooter sounded Moimoi went close again then Penkywicz took the ball and looped it out to Scott Rooke who had come inside. He, in turn, passed out to centre Perry Singleton wide out who strolled over to make it 24-4 at the break.