Carlisle Utd 1 Fleetwood Town 3: Fleetwood came from behind to beat Carlisle United in today's pre-season friendly as the Blues' player shortage was again laid bare.

Jack Bridge put the Cumbrians ahead but two goals from ex-United man Paddy Madden, either side of a Harrison Biggins strike, sealed the win for the League One visitors.

United remain in sore need of firepower two weeks before the league season begins, and even began the second half with trialist defender Aaron Hayden playing at centre-forward.

He replaced another trialist, striker Kwame Thomas, at the interval.

Carlisle started well but Fleetwood got on top later in the first half, and then had much the better of a second period where boss Steven Pressley also introduced a host of youth players for the final stages.

Bridge headed Carlisle in front in the 10th minute of their fourth pre-season game.

The ex-Northampton midfielder arrived in space behind the visiting defence to send a fine Christie Elliott cross past keeper Alex Cairns.

Harry McKirdy had gone close moments earlier for Pressley's side.

Later, Byron Webster tried to catch Cairns off his line with a free-kick from halfway but couldn't get his ambitious attempt on target.

Carlisle's manager had handed youth team player Josh Galloway a start and the youngster showed some bright touches in the early stages.

Indeed, United had the best of the opening 20 minutes but the visitors then came into things, Morris almost setting up Biggins and Madden volleying wide.

Madden then levelled from the penalty spot after Webster had been penalised for a challenge on Conor McAleny just inside the box.

Two minutes later, McAleny hit the outside of the post.

Pressley then surprisingly sent ex-Wolves defender Hayden into the centre-forward position at the start of the second half, withdrawing ex-Derby and Solihull striker Thomas who had worked hard without making much impact in terms of goalscoring chances.

United created little in the second half other than an off-target McKirdy attempt and Fleetwood then moved in front on 58 minutes.

Midfielder Biggins made it 2-1 when he arrived at the back post to power home a header from a right-wing Lewie Coyle cross.

Sub Jordan Rossiter came close to a third when he curled a Morris pass against the crossbar.

Madden then got his second of the game on 69 minutes, arriving to score after captain Adam Collin had saved a Josh Morris free-kick.

Pressley then made eight changes with 15 minutes to go, Aston Villa midfielder Lewis Brunt among the subs along with Keighran Kerr, Jarrad Branthwaite and youth team players.

United struggled to create anything against a more senior opposition from there, with Hayden reverting to centre-half for the closing stages.

The game highlighted the need for a number of new signings, with the Blues hoping to bring in strikers and midfielders soon and Pressley saying the club have been "assured" a new arrival will join next Wednesday.

Hallam Hope will be available for Tuesday's friendly against Tranmere after missing this game through suspension, after his red card at Chester.

United: Collin, Elliott (Barnes 74), Mellish (Birch 74), Webster (Lightfoot 74), Knight-Percival (Branthwaite 74), Jones (Bell 74), Bridge (Armstrong 74), Scougall (Brunt 74), McKirdy (Charters 67), Galloway (Kerr 74), Thomas (Hayden 46). Not used: Gray.

Fleetwood: Cairns, Coyle, Eastham (Clarke 63), Souttar, Burns, Biggins (Matete 77), Coutts (Rossiter 63), Morris, Rydel (Hill 77), Madden (Saunders 77), McAleny (Baggley 63). Not used: Crellin, Southam-Hales, Mooney, Sheron.