Carlisle Cricket Club took Workington apart to seal a quickfire win at the Valentine Ground to stay on the heels of leaders Furness in the Cumbria Cricket League Premier Division.

The match was over in less than two-and-a-quarter hours with Workington skittled for 37, their second lowest score in the last 20 years.

Fraser Conn (6-22) and professional Michael Slack (4-13) did all the bowling as Workington capitulated without a single batsman reaching double figures.

With Furness beating Keswick by six wickets in their game, the lead at the top stays at six points, and both the top two would expect to collect further wins tomorrow.

Furness travel to bottom side Egremont, who have not won a league game, although they have reached the semi-final of the Higson Cup.

Carlisle are at Edenside against a Dalton side who are currently holding down a place in the top-half of the table but with just three wins so far.

Marc Brown, Carlisle’s skipper, is unavailable so Ben Davidson will lead the side and James Dawson steps up from the second team.

The city side are still waiting to find out who they will play in the County Cup semi-final as Cleator and Penrith have not yet met in the delayed quarter-final. Cockermouth play Dalton in the other semi-final.

Carlisle had that outstanding, and thrilling, low-scoring win over title rivals Furness in their quarter-final.

Incidentally two of the Carlisle players – Ben Davidson and Slack – will be playing for Cumberland in a three-day Minor Counties game at Sleaford against Lincolnshire. It starts on Sunday.

Carlisle missed out on the Under-19s’ T20 Bash title as they were beaten by eventual winners Keswick in the semi-final during Sunday’s finals day at Fitz Park. The competition had been held over from last season.

Keswick went on to beat Whitehaven Griffins in the final after the west Cumbrians had done well to beat the much-fancied Furness side in their semi-final.

In the final, Keswick batted first and Stephen Moss (32) and Greg Cameron (32) set about peppering the boundary. They set Keswick on their way to a decent total before they both were caught and the middle-order took over to help Keswick post the highest total of the day of 126/7 under dark skies. Whitehaven’s Lewis Keeler took three wickets.

Leo Sanczuk led the way for the Griffins in their run-chase but he was clean bowled for 27. And as the overs ticked by, Whitehaven lost too many wickets as Keswick restricted Whitehaven to 95 all out. Finn Turnbull took three wickets for Keswick.

In their Cumbria League game at Furness on Saturday, professional Geeth Kumara (42) and James McGown (26) were largely responsible for Keswick reaching 127, coming together when they were 9/4.

Kumara and McGown each then took two wickets but Furness won comfortably at 128-4 after 24 overs.

Tomorrow, Keswick entertain Workington, still smarting from last week’s heavy home defeat by Carlisle.

Wigton stayed next to bottom after they had lost a tense game at home to Cleator by three wickets.

Professional Chris Hodgson top-scored with 34 in an all-out total of 126 and then took 4-44 as Cleator recovered from a mini-slump to reach 127-7. They had gone from 72-4 to 75-7 before veteran Ian Clark (29 not out) and David Glover (15 not out) saw them home.

Tomorrow, Wigton travel to take on Lindal Moor while Cleator have a tasty west Cumbrian derby in prospect at home to Whitehaven.

Champions Cockermouth visit Millom, having worked their way up the table to fourth.