Annan Athletic 1 Clyde 0: A Chris Johnston goal gave Annan Athletic the upper hand ahead of the second leg of the Scottish League One promotion play-off final.

After Clyde striker David Goodwillie had missed a first-half penalty, the winger struck for the Black and Golds before Annan held on to their lead ahead of Saturday’s re-match.

It was the home team who had the first chance in the third minute when Dave Wilson’s free-kick tested Clyde’s Blair Currie, before big frontman Christian Nade again tested the former Annan stopper.

At the other end a minute later, referee Greg Aitken adjudged Steve Swinglehurst to have fouled Ally Love as the visitors were awarded a penalty. But Goodwillie missed the target with the spot-kick in front of the bumper Galabank crowd, dragging wide of Alex Mitchell’s left-hand post.

And fresh from the Black and Golds having announced their manager had signed a new two-year deal, it was Peter Murphy’s men who took the lead. Carlisle lad Swinglehurst flicked on Lewis Strapp’s long throw and winger Johnston hooked the ball in.

On the half-hour mark, Martin McNiff twice came close for the Bully Wee from successive corners though, on both occasions, Athletic's Swinglehurst did enough to deny him.

Goodwillie was then thwarted by a big block by Athletic’s keeper Mitchell on the 37th minute, while Chris McStay blazed over an opportunity from the resultant set-piece as the hosts held on to their one-goal advantage until the break.

Managed by former Gretna player Danny Lennon, Clyde nearly fell further behind shortly after the restart when Ayrton Sonkur headed over Johnston’s delivery.

Nade then went for the spectacular after a high ball from Morton loan man Strapp, though, couldn’t get the better of Currie.

Clyde then threatened, with Kevin Nicholl blazing over on the 57th minute.

Eight minutes later, McStay tried his luck with a long-range strike which went over Mitchell’s bar.

While both teams threatened, there was a lack of clear-cut chances as the match headed into the latter stages.

That was until 13 minutes from time when Tom Lang hooked a Wilson effort, which had beaten visiting goalkeeper Currie, off the line.

Three minutes from time, Wallace volleyed over with the Galabankies looking for a second.

The two teams will meet again in the all-important second-leg tie at the Broadwood Stadium this weekend.