Kells stayed bottom of the National Conference Premier Division after losing another west Cumbrian derby.

They had lost 14-6 in a close contest to Egremont last month and have followed up with a 22-10 loss to Wath Brow.

That win kept the Hornets joint-top of the league with West Hull but there was another defeat by Egremont to slip three points off the pace.

In the derby game, Kells were losing for the seventh time in a row but for Wath Brow their winning sequence moved to five.

A tight first half was an even contest with both sides landing a blow but neither taking control of the clash and it finished all square at 6-6.

It was really in the third quarter that Wath Brow set up the win as they got into their stride and breezed clear of their opponents.

Curtis Teare had given Wath Brow the early lead with an unconverted try and that was quickly wiped out by one from Kells’ Craig Benson.

Respective penalties from Cole Walker-Taylor and Jake Parker just before the interval maintained parity.

But the first 10 minutes of the second half decided the contest

Jay Weatherill, Karl Dixon and Dean Rooney all crossed for Hornets’ tries, two of which were converted by Walker-Taylor.

Kells couldn’t react, although they did score a second try after 66 minutes when Dan Dougherty got over.

Egremont were bitterly disappointed to lose 24-20 at home to Lock Lane, conceding a converted try five minutes from the end.

The Cumbrians had opened so confidently, racing into a 12-0 lead inside the first 14 minutes.

Those points came from tries by Matty Henson and Fraser McNee, both converted by Matty Bewsher.

The Castleford visitors settled, however, and came back strongly to lead 18-12 at the break.

Craig Jones, Craig Savage and Danny Sowerby all crossed and Nathan Fozzard landed the conversions.

Egremont got themselves back in front with unconverted tries by Leon Crellin and player coach John Paul Brocklebank.

At 20-18 the game was still on a knife-edge and it was Egremont who felt the pain when Tom Sowerby got in for the vital try, converted by Fozzard.

Hensingham are still fining life hard on the road in Division Three – slipping to a 58-10 defeat at Heworth.

Yet after half an hour everything seemed fine as they enjoyed a 10-8 lead.

Callum Tunstall and James Motum had gone over for tries, one of which was converted by Callum Sirkett.

But Hensingham weren’t helped by yellow cards for Finn Barwise and Chris Smith and they fell away dramatically.

They conceded 40 unanswered points in a second half they will be keen to put behind them as Heworth moved up to mid-table.