Carlisle Utd 1 Lincoln City 0: Mike Jones broke his league goal duck for Carlisle as the Blues toppled leaders Lincoln in a dramatic game at Brunton Park.

The midfielder scored with a drilled 25-yard shot on 77 minutes against the 10-man Imps.

His first goal in 92 Blues league outings was enough to propel Steven Pressley's eighth-placed side back to within a point of the play-off places.

It was Lincoln's first league defeat of 2019 and their first in 20 games as they failed to wrap up the League Two title at Brunton Park.

It also saw Carlisle keep their first clean sheet since January on a controversial and eventful Good Friday encounter in front of 6,819 fans, including 2,099 from Lincoln.

Carlisle dominated the first half against a Lincoln side who lost captain Jason Shackell to a 29th-minute red card.

The Imps skipper received two yellow cards for fouls in the space of three minutes, his second for bringing down Jamie Devitt.

That saw him receive his marching orders from ref Lee Mason, the defender also appearing to push the fourth official on his way to the tunnel.

While ref Mason infuriated the visiting contingent, Carlisle had much of the play against their already-promoted opponents.

After John Akinde headed wide in the fifth minute, most of the pressure was United's even if chances were scarce early on.

With Kelvin Etuhu and Jones adding strength to their midfield, they were the dominant force especially after the red card, launching a series of attacks and forcing several corners.

Fit-again Devitt had tested Matt Gilks from a 26th-minute free-kick and a number of other raids involving Hallam Hope and Callum O'Hare were kept out by the Imps.

Stefan Scougall also grew in influence as he broke beyond the front line and he tested Gilks with a 20-yard shot before half-time.

United then lost Devitt to what appeared to be a recurrence of his hamstring injury on 53 minutes, Nathan Thomas coming off the bench.

Macaulay Gillesphey then entered the fray for his first appearance since January, replacing makeshift left-back Gary Miller.

United remained on the front foot after Akinde had had a shot blocked.

Hope failed to convert a half-chance before Thomas picked up a booking as his slide for the ball saw Michael Bostwick fouled.

Jones then triggered celebrations when he capped a man-of-the-match display with his first goal since 2016.

A minute later Adam Collin saved superbly from sub Danny Rowe as Lincoln looked for a way back.

The keeper then had to turn a Harry Anderson cross over the bar, before unused sub Jason Kennedy picked up a booking for kicking the ball away as Lincoln prepared to take a throw.

Hope twice went close again before Thomas hit the post.

Hope and O'Hare failed to capitalise on a last-minute counter-attack when the guests were outnumbered, but United had enough to see off the five added minutes to give their play-off hopes a dramatic revival.

Devitt will, though, be a doubt ahead of Monday's trip to Grimsby.

He and Etuhu had returned to the side along with Jones after suspension, and the recalled defender Anthony Gerrard.

Those four changes to the side that lost at Stevenage last weekend saw Thomas, Regan Slater and Connor Simpson drop to the bench, while Peter Grant was left out of the squad.

Before the game there was a minute's applause at Brunton Park in tribute to legend Ivor Broadis, who died last week.

United: Collin, Miller (Gillesphey 60), Parkes, Gerrard, Liddle, Jones, Etuhu, O'Hare, Scougall, Devitt (Thomas 53), Hope. Not used: Gray, Kennedy, Slater, Simpson, Branthwaite.

Lincoln: Gilks, Shackell, Eardley, O'Hara, Bostwick, Toffolo (Roberts 81), Pett, Anderson, Andrade (Rowe 56), McCartan (Bolger 34), Akinde. Not used: Vickers, O'Connor, Rhead.