Tranmere Rovers 3 Carlisle United 0: Some travelling Carlisle fans called for Steven Pressley's head as the Blues slumped to defeat at in-form Tranmere.

The hosts claimed a seventh straight win through goals from Ollie Banks, James Norwood and Manny Monthe.

Their goals came after Callum O'Hare had hit the bar for the Cumbrians in the first half.

But the Blues' second half efforts left plenty to be desired and some in the away end vented their anger at the manager, chanting "We want Pressley out".

Some also booed and sang, "You don't know what you're doing," as he replaced Jamie Devitt with Kelvin Etuhu with United 2-0 down in the second half.

It means Carlisle have won just once in their last 10 games, although they are still three points outside the play-off places in ninth position.

O'Hare had United's first attempt on three minutes before Tranmere were forced into an early change, Luke McCullough's injury seeing him replaced by Jay Harris.

Norwood headed just wide for the hosts but Carlisle often played the better football in the first half, their central midfielders winning plenty of good ball and the likes of O'Hare and lone frontman Nathan Thomas stretching Micky Mellon's in-form side.

Tom Parkes, playing at left wing-back, overlapped to shoot narrowly wide on 16 minutes with Thomas going close from a similar position shortly after.

Banks and Kieron Morris tried their luck for Tranmere but Carlisle remained the more likely scorers, O'Hare hitting the woodwork after Regan Slater had tackled David Perkins and Thomas had turned ex-United defender Mark Ellis to cross.

The hosts then ended the half in the ascendancy, with Connor Jennings volleying wide and Banks then breaking the deadlock.

He was on hand at close range to head home after Perkins had gained too much space on the left.

That came on the stroke of half-time - and afterwards United never looked like finding a way back.

Perkins tried his luck and Jennings had penalty appeals turned down as he failed to convert a Jake Caprice cross.

The hosts did, though, have better luck on 64 minutes as Caprice sent another low cross from the right between keeper and defence.

Norwood was free to finish, and although Adam Collin saved, the ball rebounded off Tranmere's top scorer and into the net.

Prolific Norwood, now on 29 goals and having scored five in five straight games, had another attempt deflected wide.

Carlisle, by contrast, created nothing, Pressley's decision to withdraw Devitt then attracting the ire of the away fans.

The change did little to improve their chances, with Banks almost lobbing Collin from the centre circle and Harris having an attempt saved.

Mellon's side then claimed a third when the resulting corner picked out big defender Monthe unmarked at the back post, and he dispatched a bullet header.

O'Hare went close with a last-minute free-kick but there were more sounds of discontent from the away end at the end of United's latest day to forget.

Carlisle were without injured captain Danny Grainger while Hallam Hope was dropped to the bench, Gary Liddle and Peter Grant recalled in a 3-5-1-1 system.

Tranmere: Davies, Caprice, Ridehalgh, Ellis, Monthe, McCullough, Morris (Gilmour 76), Banks (Smith 85), Perkins, Jennings, Norwood. Not used: Pilling, Dagnall, Buxton, Harris, Mullin.

United: Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Grant, Miller (Hope 58), Parkes, Jones, Slater, O'Hare, Devitt (Etuhu 73), Thomas. Not used: Gray, Kennedy, Simpson, Scougall, Branthwaite.