Their best performance away from home earned Penrith three points after a 20-20 draw at Warrington. It was close to a win as they only lost their lead to a last kick of the game penalty.

With four games left to play they are nine points clear of the last relegation place. But it’s so tight, six or seven clubs are still in danger of going down.

Warrington are one of those sides and they were first to score although the visiting pack was putting the home eight under pressure deep in their own 22.

The Warrington stand-off made a neat break and sped out of the 22. As he was closed down he chipped ahead and when the ball bounced up nicely to took it cleanly to run in the opening try and set-up an easy conversion.

Penrith got themselves into the game when Josh Dowson made a clean break from open play and almost sent George Graham away.

Penrith then had the put in to a scrum which they won with ease and Dowson ran the ball up almost to the line, Graham made a dart for the line and was just short. But, with the cover drawn in, the ball was then shifted the full width of the pitch to Brad Taylor on the left wing who went in at the corner.

Penrith’s line-out functioned well with hooker Craig Price finding jumpers Mike Raine and Dan Richardson with regularity, they took the lead just before the break after winning lineout ball on the home 22.

They set up and drove the ball to within feet of the line, Graham and Price both attempted to bulldoze their way over the line but it was Richardson who wriggled himself through the gap to get the ball down.

Penrith’s 10-7 lead looked a handy one as they turned around to play down the slope with a following breeze, but it was short-lived.

In the second minute, Warrington broke through the middle and chipped the ball to the Penrith line.

Full-back Ed Swale got to the ball but his clearance kick was charged down and it fell nicely for the chasers who just had to fall on it to score. The touchline conversion gave the home side a four point advantage.

The lead changed hands again after Fell fielded a clearance kick on the right touchline. He ran the ball back and linked with Jay Rossi and Taylor who moved the ball across the field and into the home 22.

The Penrith forwards then laid siege to the Warrington line with drive after drive until finally something had to give and it was Dowson who came up with the final push and the try and with no conversion a one point lead.

This lifted the home side who came back strongly, Graham made one try saving tackle and it was all hands to the pumps as the visitors defended surge after surge.

The referee penalised a Penrith tackler for going high and with the scores being so tight the home side went for the penalty. It was successful and they led by two.

As the game went into the final ten minutes Penrith got themselves into a good field position with a penalty to the corner and a five-metre line-out.

Once more Price’s throw was taken cleanly and the maul was set up which got to the line.

Frantic home defence halted the maul but the ball came to Graham who spun off the side and held off two tacklers to force his way over.

This all set up a nail-biting finish with Penrith now three points to the good but defending deep in their own half. The effort could not be faulted as they stopped phase after phase which were getting closer and closer to their own line.

They made it past 80 minutes but conceded three penalties in added time. Fell thought he had won the game when he took an interception but he couldn’t quite hold on to the ball.

Penrith looked as if they had just about done enough but were penalised again, Warrington landing the kick on the whistle.