There will be no racing in Britain until next Wednesday at the earliest, the British Horseracing Authority has announced.

An outbreak of equine flu has caused a six-day shutdown, with racing’s rulers set to make a further assessment on Monday as to when racing can resume.

News broke late on Wednesday evening that the virus had been detected and Donald McCain confirmed on Thursday that he has three confirmed cases in his yard.

While the infected horses had not been racing this week, McCain has had runners at Wolverhampton, Ayr and Ludlow.

As a result, any trainer who ran a horse at those meetings has had restrictions placed on their movement.

No further positive tests have been recorded, but another three days are needed before it will be possible to make a decision on whether it is safe to resume racing as the disease can take that long to show its symptoms.

In a statement, the BHA said: “This approach will allow samples to be collected and assessed by the Animal Health Trust in order that a fully informed decision can be made on Monday.

“This may then allow declarations to take place on Tuesday in time for racing on Wednesday, with 24-hour declarations for all fixtures on this day, should racing be able to resume. Declarations for Thursday would revert to the usual procedures.

“Trainers support a precautionary approach and we thank them for the collaborative manner in which they have worked with us to address this unfolding situation.

“This precautionary approach is intended to ensure we put the health of the horse population and control of the virus first, and avoid any unnecessary risk that might come from returning to racing too quickly.

“We appreciate the impact that this may have on the sport commercially, but disease control in order to mitigate the risk of further disruption to the sport - and safeguard the health and welfare of our horses - must be a priority.”

It added that a plan to reschedule this weekend’s key races will be constructed.

Trainer Nicky Richards, whose stables are at Greystoke, near Penrith, said: “Hopefully, they now know where it’s come from and, hopefully, it’s contained. 

"It’s bad luck on the trainer involved [McCain] but, from what I hear, he is not trying to hide anything. As soon as he found out, he told the authorities.

"There are no other trainers around me, really. So, we are carrying on as normal.”

“It’s probably very worrying, yes. As I say, everybody will be hoping that they have now got it contained. Everyone will just have to be very vigilant for it," he added.

“Donald’s horse were down at the other end of the racecourse [with both Richards and McCain at Ayr Racecourse on Wednesday]. We now just need to take it day by day. 

“Donald seems to have done everything right.”