Carlisle United 1 Forest Green Rovers 2: Carlisle United's Brunton Park woes returned as they fell to defeat against Forest Green.

Jamie Devitt's second-half penalty cut the deficit but John Sheridan's side couldn't find a further way back.

Ben Morris and Carl Winchester's goals ensured victory for the visitors - and a sixth home defeat of the season for United, who remain 11th in League Two.

Morris shot Mark Cooper's side ahead on 12 minutes in an impressive first-half showing from Forest Green.

Winchester then made it two on the break in the 71st minute as United looked for a way back.

Devitt then scored his fifth in four games after a handball in the visitors' box.

But Carlisle could not complete their comeback in front of a 4,166 crowd.

Morris put the visitors in front after a bright start from Cooper's men.

The Ipswich loan forward ran onto Reece Brown's deflected attempt to drill past Adam Collin in the 12th minute at Brunton Park.

That capped a strong start by Forest Green whose passing and movement had United chasing shadows at times in a sub-standard Blues display.

Macaulay Gillesphey had to intercept a Winchester pass that almost put Matt Worthington in, and Winchester's next pass then nearly set up Brown as they played much the better football.

Hallam Hope shot wide at the other end but the ball-hogging visitors then went in front.

Regan Slater shot high and wide in response for the Blues, while Cooper's side almost opened United up again through Lloyd James.

Jack Sowerby had an attempt blocked for United with Jerry Yates slicing wide.

At the other end, Anthony Gerrard blocked a Morris shot before the defender was booked for bringing down the same opponent.

After the break Winchester rifled over, with Gillesphey unable to convert a header at the other end for Carlisle.

Collin saved well from Winchester before United almost levelled, Gary Liddle's header cleared off the line by James.

The visitors then broke and doubled their lead, Brown applying pressure before Winchester arrived to drill home.

Sub Richie Bennett just failed to reach a Devitt cross before James was penalised for handling a corner, Devitt beating keeper James Montgomery from the spot.

With Kelvin Etuhu also back from injury and on as a sub, United threw more attacks at Forest Green late on but found them in vain, Liddle denied by Montgomery, Anthony Gerrard heading over and Gillesphey hitting the post as Collin came up for an injury-time corner.

United: Collin, Liddle, Gillesphey, Gerrard, Sowerby, Yates, Jones (Etuhu 63), Slater, Devitt, Hope (Bennett 68), Nadesan. Not used: Gray, Glendon, Campbell, Adewusi, McCarron.

Forest Green: Montgomery, James, Rawson, Winchester, Brown (Williams 83), Gunning, McGinley, Digby, Worthington (Archibald 74), Morris (Reid 74), Mills. Not used: Sanchez, Campbell, Pearce.