Sheffield Eagles 62 Workington Town 0: Workington Town’s relegation to League One was rubber stamped after they were thumped 62-0 by Sheffield Eagles at Sheffield Hallam University Sports Park.

After arriving with only three substitutes, there was an air of defeat around Town from the moment they entered the field, and Sheffield capitalised on the obvious vulnerability running in 11 tries.

While Town’s relegation wasn’t just down to their performance in South Yorkshire, they meekly surrendered their second tier status after a lacklustre showing in a game that held such significance for Phil Veivers’ side.

The Eagles made all the early running and before the opening quarter was complete it was obvious that Town heads were still on the coach.

A combination of missed tackles, and ruthless Sheffield play saw the visitors looking down the barrel of a big score after the hosts ran in six tries within the first 30 minutes.

Sheffield started the onslaught when Cory Aston’s incisive break saw the half-back hand over to Michael Knowles for an easy run to the line. Aston then converted.

Town were handed a reprieve shortly after when Rob Worrincy looked certain to score, but a terrific tackle from Jack Murphy forced the winger to step in touch.

The try saving tackle merely delayed the inevitable when three minutes later the hosts created numbers on the right allowing Duane Straugheir a stroll to the line, and Aston expertly converted from the sideline.

Theerapol Ritson’s tackle on Garry Lo stopped the PNG speedster further extending the lead, but shortly after a brilliant offload in the tackle by Menzie Yere allowed Quentin Laulu-Togagae an easy try, and Aston converted in front of the sticks.

It didn’t get any better for Town who allowed Matt James too much time to pick an offload to Matty Fozard for another converted try in front of the sticks.

The game was then effectively over before the 30 minute mark when a free-flowing move involving Fozard and Laulu-Togagae was completed by Rhys Jacks, with Aston again converting in front of the posts.

There was still time for another converted Laulu-Togagae try before the hooter, with Town finally threatening the Sheffield line for the first time on 34 minutes when Jamie Doran’s kick and chase was snuffed out by the Eagles defence.

Town had their best spell of the game just after the interval and almost grabbed a breakaway try when Murphy picked up a grubber kick on his own line.

The full-back sprinted 70 metres before being hauled down by Lo to deny the visitors an almost certain try.

On 47 minutes it looked as though Town were on the board but after Steve Scholey bundled his way over the whitewash, his attempts to ground the ball were brilliantly halted by a determined Yere.

That would prove to be the pinnacle of Town’s play as Sheffield once again moved through the gears.

More slack defending from the visitors allowed Lo to bounce through four Workington tackles to score in the corner, and the winger was in again for his second try after a slick pass from Yere.

Aston converted both. Town’s afternoon was summed on the hour when Aston’s kick to the corner was fumbled by Declan Hulme, allowing Lo to pounce on the loose ball for his hat-trick.

Sheffield rounded off a comfortable Sunday stroll with further converted tries from Thibaut Margalet and Laulu-Togagae, leaving Town to contemplate trips to Gloucestershire All Golds and Hemel Stags in League One next season.

Sheffield: Laulu-Togagae; Lo, Yere, Straugheir, Worrincy; Aston, Jacks; Thorpe, Fozard, Margalet; Knowles, Wheeldon; James. Interchange: Minchella, Burns, Neal, Mexico.

Tries: Knowles (4), Straugheir (10), Laulu-Togagae (13, 27, 67), Fozard (17), Jacks (24), Lo (54, 58, 59), Margalet (65); Goals: Aston 9

Workington Town: Murphy; Hulme, Mossop, Gee, Ritson; Forber, Doran; Coward, Olstrom, Gordon; Shackley, McAvoy; Walker. Interchange: Scholey, Verlinden, Szostak.

Referee: Jon Roberts

Crowd: 380