Workington are still looking for their first Evo-Stik Premier League points of 2018 after slipping to a fourth successive defeat.

After a splendid 17-match unbeaten run, Reds have only had FA Trophy progress to savour so far this year as play-off hopes have receded.

This was another game in which the Cumbrians should have had something to show for their efforts, even though they were short of their best.

The rhythm and intensity which under-pinned that long unbeaten run is not there, with more uncertainty and less drive about their play these days.

To add to the problems, as they face the prospect virtually of playing twice a week for the rest of the season, another injury added to the disappointment of the result.

Anthony Wright suffered a hamstring pull and had to be replaced after only 18 minutes.

The only consolation from that unfortunate episode was that his replacement Rob Wilson, who has spent more time on the bench recently, emerged as one of Reds’ best players.

Reds had looked more than comfortable in the first half, so it was a major disappointment when Rushall scored right at the end.

Aaron Taylor had made his first save of the game on 42 minutes, a fine effort to turn a 10-yard rocket from Daniel Waldron over the bar.

Two minutes later, Waldron produced a fine finish to give his side the lead.

Initially, there should have been no way through for him as he was faced by several Workington defenders.

Somehow, he got through them all into space and, from just inside the area, steered a controlled finish beyond Taylor into the net.

Reds had their opportunities. Dave Symington’s fifth-minute cross evaded the Rushall defenders and Conor Tinnion, coming in late, volleyed wide from a good position.

Wright had a shooting opportunity but fired wide and that was the moment he suffered his hamstring injury.

Then, when a corner was returned by Symington, goalkeeper Joe Slinn ended in the back of the net with the ball but Reds were penalised for a foul.

When Slinn did mis-handle a back header from his captain Joe Hull, he just managed to regather before Scott Allison arrived on the scene.

The second half never really came alive until the final quarter.

Matty Douglas, the other Reds player to impress on a disappointing day, had a shot from eight yards cleared off the line.

Then, from a Symington corner, he rose really well to power in a fine header but unfortunately straight into the waiting arms of Slinn.

Rushall were dangerous on the break, as Reds pushed for an equaliser. Once, they had four against one but Gari Rowntree got back to help out and block the shot.

On another occasion, Taylor got down well to hold at the second attempt, a shot from Daniel Dubidat.

For almost half of the four minutes of added time, it seemed Taylor was in the home box. A succession of corners and free-kicks failed to find Taylor or a team-mate.

Indeed, from the last free-kick of the game, Rushall cleared to the edge of the area where Jordan Holt took aim but saw his shot rise over the bar.

Match Facts

Rushall: Slinn, Webb, Smikle, Maye, Hull, Whittall, Waldron, Hawker, Dubidat (Archer 78), Landell (Sarmento 66), Singh (Sangha 68). Subs (not used) Adelekan, Fonovich.

Workington: Taylor, McLuckie, Rowntree, Wordsworth, Douglas, Wright (Wilson 18), Symington, Holt, Allison, Waterston (Joel 75), Tinnion. Subs (not used) Smith, Mellen, Whitehead.

Referee: Gary Rollason

Crowd: 161

Star Man: Rob Wilson