Clinical Carlisle United continued their pre-season campaign with a 3-1 victory at Workington Reds.

With the match acting as former Reds midfielder Anthony Wright’s testimonial, the Blues took charge of the match in the first half as they led 2-0 at half-time.

Jamie Devitt gave United the lead midway through the first period from the penalty spot, before Jerry Yates doubled their advantage at Borough Park.

Substitute Richie Bennett then added Carlisle’s third on the hour mark as they claimed their third pre-season victory, but Kieran Maguire did pull one back for Reds.

It was Reds with the first chance of the match with two minutes on the clock as former Carlisle City man Arron Bradbury fired across the face of goal.

United created their first opening of note on the eighth minute when Kelvin Etuhu’s long-range effort was easily gathered by Workington goalkeeper Aaran Taylor.

With both sides struggling to create clear-cut opportunities, midfielder Devitt blazed a captain Danny Grainger corner over the bar on 16 minutes before Wright came off in his testimonial to applause moments later.

Four minutes later Brad Hubbold, who came on for Wright, dragged wide of ex-Reds keeper Adam Collin’s left-hand post.

But the Blues took the lead on the 24th minute.

Etuhu fed through Yates who was brought down by Lewis Tidy with Cumbrian referee Anthony Backhouse pointing to the spot. Irishman Devitt sent Taylor the wrong way with the spot-kick.

Workington were more than playing their part in the game, though, and Conor Tinnion and Ellis Pearson put defender Tom Parkes, and then, keeper Collin under pressure on 35 minutes.

But moments later, the lively Rotherham loanee Yates doubled United’s lead on the second attempt.

And Carlisle then saw the remaining 10 minutes of the first period out with ease to hold on to their two-goal advantage at the half-time interval.

Blues boss Sheridan made a host of changes at the break, with youngsters Jack Egan and Max Brown given an opportunity, while Workington remained unchanged for the start of the second period.

Tinnion came close to pulling a goal back on the 55th minute when he tried to find the far corner, only to be denied by substitute keeper Joe Fryer.

Two minutes later, substitute Hubbold was the next west Cumbrian player to pepper Fryer’s gloves, but the 22-year-old Middlesbrough loan man was equal to the effort.

But Carlisle trebled their lead on the hour mark substitute. Bennett slotted Mike Jones’ cutback into the bottom corner.

Having made three more changes of their own, Workington should have pulled one back on 66 minutes, although Matty Douglas headed over Tinnion’s free-kick from close-range.

But Reds did cut the deficit 10 minutes from time through Maguire’s effort from the edge of the box.

Ahead of their League Two opener at Exeter, United will play their final friendly on Saturday when they host League One’s Bradford at Brunton Park.

Carlisle United: Collin (Fryer 45), Miller (Olsen 60), Grainger (c), Liddle, Yates (Egan 45), Parkes (Gillesphey 45), Etuhu (Adewusi 60), Jones, Stockton (Bennett 45), Devitt (Glendon 45), Slater (Brown 45).

Carlisle unused sub: Hope.

Workington Reds: Taylor (Casson 72), Douglas, Rowntree (c) (Miller 80), Smith (O’Brien 60), Tidy (Harker 60), Wright (Hubbold 16), Pearson (McDonald 88), Cowperthwaite (Mellen 60), Bradbury (Pattinson 72), Maguire (Hetherington 85), Tinnion (Holliday 80).

Ref: Anthony Backhouse.

Attendance: 678