A group of international rugby union legends braved the windy Cumbrian weather recently as part of a 500-mile cycle for charity.

The 100-strong team of cyclists, led by former Scotland captain Rob Wainwright and cyclist Mark Beaumont, took around 50 hours to cycle from Edinburgh’s Murrayfield Stadium to the Principality Stadium in Cardiff to raise money for the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation.

The charity was launched by Doddie Weir and a group of trustees, who wanted to find a cure for motor neurone disease after the former lock forward was diagnosed with the incurable disease in 2017.

The cyclists made a quick pitstop at Penrith Rugby Club on the evening of Thursday, February 10.

Discussing the event, Welsh rugby legend Alix Popham said: “We are doing the Doddie Cup 500, cycling from Edinburgh to Cardiff in 48 hours. I’m cycling as part of Team Dragons who are a group of former Welsh rugby union players.”

When asked how he got involved, Alix continued: “I know Rob Wainwright who organised the event, we did a ride across America a few years ago. He asked if I wanted to take part in this event and there was no way I wanted to say no! I then put a team together of fellow Welshmen who were wanting to help with raising funds for the charity and here we are now, cycling down the country.

“It’s not really a competition even if we are in separate groups. It’s all about the taking part for us. We’re not going fast and taking our time. As long as we’re keeping warm and fed that’s all we need!”

Thursday saw a strong wind blowing across Cumbria, discussing how the conditions were for the group, Alix said: “We had icy sleet in Edinburgh! It wasn’t the best start weather wise to start the event when we’re waiting to go. It was still a great atmosphere, and we couldn’t wait to get started.”

The group arrived at the rugby club in separate spells, fuelling up on meals provided by the hosts before a quick toilet break and change before taking off for the rest of the journey.

The cyclists made it to the Welsh capital in time to deliver the match ball for kick-off, with the Welsh taking a 20-17 win against the Scots.