THE death of a Carlisle man at a friend's house was drug related, a coroner has concluded.

Carl McAdam, 44, was found unresponsive on April 12, 2021.

He lived in Spencer Street but was staying with friend James Stewart, in South Henry Street.

An inquest was held in Cockermouth this week. Area coroner Kirsty Gomersal heard Mr McAdam had 10 siblings and was a much-loved and valued member of the family. He had a close relationship with his daughter, Keeley.

Miss McAdam said: "At school he was very sporty and a high achiever. He left school after Year 11 and went to work at the Carrs factory.

"He worked there from aged 16 to 21 but had to stop working after he suffered a head injury at the swimming baths."

In the following years Mr McAdam was assaulted twice, in Carlisle, and suffered brain damage, the court heard.

His mental health declined after his parents died and he was candid about his drug use which escalated in 2020, said Ms Gomersal.

Christine Rice, of the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team, said he had anxiety and depression but had no intention of ending his life. His GP had prescribed medication for headaches and anxiety.

Mr McAdam was found unresponsive on the sofa when Mr Stewart got up in the morning.

A toxicology report showed no alcohol but there were prescribed medications and a number of substances. These included diazepam, pregabalin and methadone.

The medical cause of death was given as bronchial pneumonia and aspiration of gastric contents likely related to a combination of drugs having a sedative effect.

Ms Gomersal offered her heartfelt sympathies to the family.

"He was a loved and valued member of a large family," she said. "He had a very positive relationship with all his siblings and an extremely close relationship with his daughter, Keeley.

"He had some ongoing mental health concerns, but there's no there is no evidence that Carl intended to harm himself on the night in question."

A mixture of prescribed and unprescribed drugs had lead to bronchial pneumonia and aspiration of gastric contents, she said, concluding his death was "drug related".